KANG the tiger oscar

thefishdude

Nice looking Oscar. Is it alone in the 90 gallon? I have a pair of 3" tigers I will be moving into my 50 gallon soon, but I know I need a bigger tank for adult sized tiger oscars.

For 2 tigers, what tank gallon should I look for? And what dimensions are best (ie: 4' deep or 5' narrow?)

Ive got KANG together with KODOS an albino tiger in my 90gallon. The footprint of the tank that I have is 48" x 18". I wouldn't suggest getting a tank that is any smaller than 18" wide. I'm not expecting to get a larger tank anytime soon but from the info that I've gotten from a number of trusted resources this will be good enough size wise.

The most popular advice I've received is about 70 gal for a single adult oscar, and then add an extra 20 gal for each extra that you add. Also, I should add, all of this is dependant on the attitude of your Oscars. Ive heard stories of Tigers O's getting along swimmingly until one day they just don't like the look of the other. KANG is getting to be a cranky fellow so I'm expecting that someday I may have to find a new home for KODOS.

I fell in love when I was last at Riverfront. They had 2.5" baby black tiger Oscars. Ive never seen them in person before. I took advantage of a friedship and swung a 2for1 deal for 2 new additions. Right now they are causing havoc in my 25 gal. Looks like I might have a pair of 90 gallon tanks before the year is through.... :):)

Edited by thefishdude

dude...

Ya, it was the same for me. My 2 oscars (SID & SAM) where the last 2 at Petsmart Calgary Trail, and I just could not pass them up.

I think a 90 gallon is about right. And I agree on the depth of 18". My 50 is only a 12" deep so I have to upgrade pretty quick, before they hit 9" anyway. How much time do you think I got? They are 3.5" now.

Based on the growth rate of the ones I've had or seen of others, I'd say you could get about another six months out of your tank. By that time they will probably be 7" or double their current stature. They usually go through a rapid growth spurt between 5-9 inches when they will eat you out of house and home. Like a growing teenager you could say. This would be the time for a new home... :smokey:

He's about 9 inches total length right now, but there are times when he grows on a daily basis.  LOVES the Omega One Pellets and Superworms a little too much....Post Christmas Diet!!!

Eat KANG and KODOS...grow large with food...

Cool Oscars!

Stu

Edited by salon_1928