Expensive Snack

jvision

Last week, I bought 26 Cardinal Tetras to go into my 135. I picked up the largest Cards I could find, and thought they'd be fine in the tank... and they were.... for a couple days....

I am now down to 6 :( The most of them disapearing in the last couple days. They only leave at night, which makes me suspect my male BN. He's a biggun, and strait from the wild, so I'm sure he's done a bit of night-time prowlin in his days. The remaining Cards are heading downstairs to grow out a bit more - they could add another 50% body-size. Then, hopefully they'll be fit for the big tank.

I never thought that a BN could eat cardinals. What other fish do you have in the tank?

The tank's got Bleeding Heart and Congo Tetras, some Geophagus and a few angels. The Cards are too big to be sucked up by any of those fish - if they were the perpetrators, I'd see fish-bits around the tank. Only the male BN has the hoover big enough to suck up these Cards.

Incidentally, 7 Cards were hiding - I still have over a dozen. :unsure:

I thought the same thing when I put large neons in with my angels, and the angels enjoyed them.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

My guess would be the angels. I learned that lesson the hard way myself.I added some large(full grown) cardinals to my planted tank and my angel ate all but 1 of them even thought I thought they were way too big. I never say any fish bits floating around afterwards.

Agreed .. more likely the assasins are the angels and the BN just the cleaner.

Have kept BNs with all sorts of fish that are really tiny and a easy snack without issue.

Any time I added tetras to my Angel display tank when I was breeding Angels they were gone in a day or two.

I would suspect the angels to be the murderous culprits. I put large neons in my tank with angels that I thought were too small to eat any fish in the tank. I don't have a great video, but I did see them get eaten.

I caught mine in the act.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n302/fa...nt=MOV01806.flv

Edited by Sam Chicklets

Yeah... now I'm thinking it was the angels, too. I caught the remaining 12 (I found 6 more!) and put them in a grow-out tank w. some 1.5" - 2" jewel cichlids b/c it had the best filtration... in less than 10 seconds, a couple of those jewels were smokin' Cardinal cigars.... :cry:

The last 8 are in my 90 for now... it is slated for sevrums, so that won't last. Anyone for 8 Cardinals - $60!! :lol:

Anyone for 8 Cardinals - $60!! :lol:

That's only $7.50 per cardinal! You can spin it that these are "survivor" fish. Doesn't that raise the price like when you have wild caught fish? :shifty:

Sounds like you're already trying to convince your wife... :P

Edited by jvision