Silver Dollars-fins

Majestic_Aquariums

We have 10 Silver Dollars (2" to 3") in a 90 gal, along with some smaller tetras, and 3 dwarf gouramis in a community tank. Their growth was quick at first, but now some have been losing their fins. There aren't any fin-nippers, all get along fine, and it is only the Silver Dollars that have this problem. We do regular water-changes (25% per week)

Was wondering if this is easily explained-is it a difficiency in diet,ect.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your water parameter(ammonia,nitrtie,nitrate). Sometimes eroding fins can be caused by poor(or less then ideal) water conditions. Maybe, 25% each week isn't enough for your tank(although i woudl think it would be with just tetras and smaller fish). But if the nitrates are high a 25% might not be enough to keep them at a lower level.

Or it could be that the silver dollars are nipping each others fins. I have a group of 5 columbian tetras that always have "chewed" up fins and i never noticed any nipping. I was watching them one night and noticed that after lights off they woudl chase eachother around. So just because you havent' seen any nipping doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Either way (fin rot or aggression) you'll want to make sure your water is kept near pristine for the next while so that the fish don't become further stressed, and so that bacteria doesn't take hold. (which could lead to secondary infections) If the nitrates are over 40 ppm, I'd suggest stepping up the water changes until they come down to under 20 ppm. That alone should reduce the stress from any water paramater problems, as well as help the fish heal.

Also, make sure you aren't feeding old outdated food, as those fish are going to need a boost in nutrition (and vitamins) to fend off any further fin loss, and to regrow their damaged fins.

Actually, if you purchase the Pond solution Melafix at Petland, I believe it's a better deal than the regular strength at Walmart. ;)

If the fish are otherwise healthy, and are fed quality food, the water changes alone should clear up the problem.

Edited by RD.

Actually, if you purchase the Pond solution Melafix at Petland, I believe it's a better deal than the regular strength at Walmart. ;)

Didn't realize they had a pond one....any other pond stuff they have, such as Prime???? :drool:

The pond melafix is 5 percent and the regular one is one percent...so u end up adding less melafix in your tank since it is stronger! I have been using it for a while now.

Someone in this forum also created his own melafix out of tea tree oil (100%) and water...just do the calculations whether you want it 5 or 1 percent...however, the oil tends to float in water so shake well before dispensing...or if you really want to "dissolve" it, use gum arabic so it will mix with water...you can buy gum arabic on ebay...

I have not tried the gum arabic way so please use on "test" fish first!!!! That is the only thing i have found that would mix oil with water...melafix obviously dont have it on their label...

JS

Someone in this forum also created his own melafix out of tea tree oil (100%) and water...just do the calculations whether you want it 5 or 1 percent...however, the oil tends to float in water so shake well before dispensing...or if you really want to "dissolve" it, use gum arabic so it will mix with water...you can buy gum arabic on ebay...

I'm a her :P I made my own home made version of melafix and i dont' havea problem with the oil separating from the water. Mixing melaluca oil and water isn't like mixing regular oil and water. I have never had a problem with it forming an "oil slick" on the top of my water. Even when i use it my tanks with less surface aggitation it isnt' really a problem.

No offense to the ingenious DIY'er, but if you find yourself needing that much Melafix in your tanks, I suggest taking a closer look at your husbandry practices

I dont' see how making DIY melafix is any different then doing a DIY version of anything else fish related. Its not like you end up making gallons of this stuff. A little bottle of melaluca oil made me a 2l bottle of melafix. If treating a large tank you go through the stuff fairly fast. It is just something to try. I probably wouldn't make it again. The onyl reason i did was because i already had the melaluca oil at home. If i had to purchase it i probably woudlnt' have made it. I think the pond Melafix is a better deal in the long run.