filter for 72 gallon bowfront

Earthgirl

My best friend has my 72 gallon bowfront with a Aqua clear 500 on it. This filter is about 10 years old (honest) and still works....

But the dilmea is that my intentions were always to better the filter, so when she got the tank, I told her that the filter was going to be needed to be replaced in a couple of years. *cough* that was 3 years ago.

What would be a good filter for this tank, with the plan of dojo loaches, community fish, plant in it.

Her and I might in time change it into a salt water tank, but that is after we ditch the men!

I have not shopped for a filter in years since I use an overflow system on my tank.

I was thinking Eheim...

I hate fluvals just cause of the work involved when you stop them.

And my friend wants an in the tank filter (I dunno why though....) but we will humour what she wants...(tehe)

Any ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated!

I would definitely go with an external canister filter, especially with plants and future intentions of saltwater. Eheims are good but quite pricey and replacement parts availability can be an issue. Not good when you have a lot of money invested in livestock and you can't operate your filter because you are waiting for an impeller, o-ring, etc.

Having said that I would recommend the Fluval '05 series filter. The '05 series are more user friendly than the '04's. I have had no problems with start-up with mine; and I am up to 6 now. If you need a part you can go to any store that sells Hagen products and they will more than likely have it for you. I think the Fluval is the best value for your money. Eheim is good as well, but be prepared to pay a lot more.

My best friend has my 72 gallon bowfront with a Aqua clear 500 on it. This filter is about 10 years old (honest) and still works....

But the dilmea is that my intentions were always to better the filter, so when she got the tank, I told her that the filter was going to be needed to be replaced in a couple of years. *cough* that was 3 years ago.

What would be a good filter for this tank, with the plan of dojo loaches, community fish, plant in it.

Her and I might in time change it into a salt water tank, but that is after we ditch the men!

I have not shopped for a filter in years since I use an overflow system on my tank.

I was thinking Eheim...

I hate fluvals just cause of the work involved when you stop them.

And my friend wants an in the tank filter (I dunno why though....) but we will humour what she wants...(tehe)

Any ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated!

Rena Filstar XP3 :) They're great filters and easy to use, also not too pricey when compared to the eheims :)

I can never say enough good about Eheims. You know what you're getting with an Eheim. I've personally never a had a problem with Eheims, and one of the things I like about them is the availability of replacement parts; you may have to wait a bit for a part, but the Classics haven't been changed in at least 15 years and are still being made (unlike ANY other brand I've ever seen), so parts are still readily available for 'older' filters.

either go with an fx5 or a eheim classic.

they are both really good filters. believe it or not the first eheim in N. America was produced and manufactured by hagen.

if you see any similarities in the fx5 to a classic eheim thats why,

and ps the new hagen fx line will be in stores shortly.

theyre goona be insane!!!

Quinn

I have 2 XP3 filters running on 50 galon tanks and love the ease of service on them. Also on my 75 gallon tank I have an A/C 500, and an A/C 300 and it is a planted tank.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I'm an Eheim person as well and I love the Classic models, but when I buy new Eheim cannisters I buy Proffessional models because of their easy accessibility for cleaning and changing the fine filter material. It is so easy to crack open a Proffessional and change the filter floss and get the filter up and running again; litterally, it only takes 60 seconds to complete the task and the filter doesn't need to be reprimed or anything.

I started out with an Eheim filter and I never thought I would change my preference. However, I was in need of another filter and a bit short on cash so after extenisive reading and research, I decided to go with a Rena XP4. I love it and I don't think I will buy another Eheim should the need arise. The XP4 has 4 baskets and you can customize the amount and type of media you put in each basket. I'm glad I kept an open mind and gave the Rena a try.

I started out with an Eheim filter and I never thought I would change my preference. However, I was in need of another filter and a bit short on cash so after extenisive reading and research, I decided to go with a Rena XP4. I love it and I don't think I will buy another Eheim should the need arise. The XP4 has 4 baskets and you can customize the amount and type of media you put in each basket. I'm glad I kept an open mind and gave the Rena a try.

i also have an xp4. probably the best bang for your buck,

and ther fx5 is a little more pricey but its a bit better of a filter.

Has anyone had an opportunity to try the SmartHeater with a Rena XP class canister filter? I have been reading about these inline devices, and it sounds like a fantastic idea, if it works. It's something I'd try on my next project, if there is some good feedback.