Plants with Cichlids??

stribbelldk

Hey, I was wondering if there are people with plants in a cichlid tank? If so what plants?

I have 6 Electic yellows , 6 Electric blues, 6 Red empress 7 Petricola and 2 BN.

Ph is 8.0, Nitrite, nitrate and ammonia is low or at zero.

I have a 90 gal tank with the Coralife Lunar lights 2- 10k halide, 2 10k atinic and 4 small lunar lights. More than enough for most plants I am told.

My temp is consistanly around 80 F.

Whole tank set up for appox. 8 months.

I was told I can put Java fern in and one other but I forget the name. Any other Ideas??? I wound like one plant that is kinda big and some low lying plants

Derek

Personally I have never had any luck with plants in my 90g african tank(yellow labs, red emp, acei, pheno, synos). They fish would eat them and within a day or 2 the poor plants were jsut stems. I tried a variety of "hardy" plants but it never worked out in my tank.

Other people have had success so i think its something you just have to try out for yourself. Some hardy plants to test out are Vallisneria, Java ferns, and Anubias.

There are species of Val that are native to the Rift Lakes (well, if not native, they grow there). I've had success w. Val, Java fern and Anubias; however, stem plants and other soft-leaf plants were doomed.

I have anubias and jungle vals that I got from African Fever in my 230 gal. The secret is to plant lots, or , like African Fever said add fish to an established planted tank. The first time I tried to add plants to my tank my fish went on a feeding frenzy and the plants got shredded. I rescued the nubs that were left and grew them out in a 55 gal for almost a year. When I began to have a hard time seeing through the mass of plants I decided to put them back in my 230, twice as many this time . So far so good , they do eat them still but with so many in there they still grow and are putting out runners so it seems to be working better this time around. Here's a pic:

novfishpix-001_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Plants did well for a couple of months but in the past week something happened that the fish decided they were food . They have taken a good chunk of my vals out but have left my anubias alone.