150 gallon options

Fishful Thinking

They do fine with severum, but I'm not sure about the others. I would be more concerned with keeping apistos with the big guys.

Greg,

I have had varying luck with EBJDs. My first was the biggest of my growouts when I changed over a 90 gallon tank. He grew up without being threatened by larger fish and he grew up with great colors and very beautiful. He was also a very mellow ruler of the tank - for an CA fish. He did not even snack on his smaller friends.

I had a filter meltdown and that was the end of that fish community. I started again with some severums, a large fancy pleco and some larger dithers. I added another small EBJD after the tank had stabilized. The EBJD grew fine with the severum (who were much larger) but was very dark (mostly black) and I was very disappointed.

I moved the EBJD at 3-4 inches into a planted tank where he was the only cichild and the other residents were 12 rummy nose a school of otos and some bristlenose. Within hours he lit up and he is now as brilliant as my other one was at this size. Being the king of the tank suits these fish. Unfortunately where my other fish was placid, the 12 rummynose made for the 12 days of Christmas for the EBJD. He is now working his way throught the oto cats.

On another note, I am not a fan of severums. I thought they would be a similar fish to discus (which I loved keeping), but they are not the gentle giants that you read about. Mine are ornery, shred plants, need alot of space and aren't very charming (you know what I mean).

Regarding your other comments:

You can get an EBJD for about $40 on Riverfronts 2 for 1 or if you talk nicely to the fish store keeper. Watch their eyes and their shape as they are highly inbred and the eyes have given others problems in the past.

Regarding SAs - I recommend either keeping many singles or larger groups (4+ so they can aggravate each other). Or focussing on one large pair and throwing in some supplementary fish (plecs, dithers ect.) I don't think Pimpdocta idea was without merit as if you throw in potential pairs of several different CA/SA species in together, it will result in havoc and likely dead fish when one set decides to pair up. Even small HRPs can make life hard on everyone in a 90 when they breed. So a show pair of "tank busters" may be really neat. Remember that the lower the stocking in an SA tank, you will get better growth.

Angels are nice, but they can be ornery too. Your other stocking choices may not fit the swimming pattern/flow of angels.

Chocolate cichlids fit better into that space IMO. But I think your could choose anyone of chocolates/severums/angels to fill that part of your picture.

These are my thoughts, not yours...

Immmmm Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I have been very happy with my wild caught angels from Spencer Jack (hint, hint). Being WC, they've got a bit more grit than most domestics that I've seen. Right now they're holding their own quite well with a 4.5" oscar.

I have been very happy with my wild caught angels from Spencer Jack (hint, hint). Being WC, they've got a bit more grit than most domestics that I've seen. Right now they're holding their own quite well with a 4.5" oscar.

i have heard that it has been done but like discuss angles to not go well with oscars, angles are slower moving less agressive fish and when your oscar hits sexual maturity and gets a attitude i dont think your angles will last long