150 gallon options

Fishful Thinking

I know I ask this kind of question far too much, but I just cannot help myself! I recently purchased a 150 gallon tank (72x18x30) and was looking at putting some bigger SA or CA cichlids. I will have severums, geo. iporigensis, apistos, bleeding hearts and columbian tetras in to begin with but I was wondering what my options would be for stocking bigger fish in the future. The following fish I am interested in, but I am not sure about compatibility and how many I could put in. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate the help. :thumbs:

- Jack Dempsey

- Green Terror

- Nicaragua cichlid

- Tinfoil barbs

- Chocolate cichlid

- any larger geos that would work

- anything that I am missing that would be cool or that would fit well?

I am also wondering if anything I have in the tank right now will work with the above fish. As always, thanks for the help!

I think you could go with anything except the Dempsey and keep 'em w. the fish you have - except the apistos. If you want to try to keep the apistos, have a lot (a lot, a lot) of caves and wood with nooks and crannies way too small for any of the other fish. FYI, I once had a 10" common pleco that would eat tetras at night, and some of those larger plecos actually prefer meat to plant matter. Also, Geos are pretty slow to gain their full size - probably around a year at least. I bought mine in the spring, and they're only about 1/2 size.... they're in a 135 w. 50% weekly WCs.

Just a couple of clarification questions:

1. JDs just too aggressive for this setup?

2. Silver dollars instead of the tinfoils because of size/temperament/compatibility?

3. How many of the following species (as adults) could I safely fit? Severums, Chocolate, Nicaragua, GT, Geo. Iporigensis, tetra dithers

A couple of comments:

Satanoperca leucosticta look really cool. Thanks, Jay. :thumbs:

BN is a great idea. Thanks, Canucklehead. :thumbs:

Jason, thanks for all of the help and the tip on the geos. I have one that is two inches and the rest are all an inch. It is bizarre! :thumbs:

Just a couple of clarification questions:

1. JDs just too aggressive for this setup?

2. Silver dollars instead of the tinfoils because of size/temperament/compatibility?

3. How many of the following species (as adults) could I safely fit? Severums, Chocolate, Nicaragua, GT, Geo. Iporigensis, tetra dithers

A couple of comments:

Satanoperca leucosticta look really cool. Thanks, Jay. :thumbs:

BN is a great idea. Thanks, Canucklehead. :thumbs:

Jason, thanks for all of the help and the tip on the geos. I have one that is two inches and the rest are all an inch. It is bizarre! :thumbs:

JDs will own the tank, then when they spawn, they'll be the only ones left! Yeah, they can be quite aggressive.

SDs might have been suggested b/c they're from SA, while tinfoils are from Asia/Africa. Both will chew up plants - SDs moreso, I believe.

I'd probably go with a single GT, as they get really nasty when they spawn

Sevs are pretty peaceful for bigger cichlids - I had an adult trio in a community tank, and the only thing that disappeared were plants and amano shrimp (tetras, rams, etc. weren't touched).

I've found that once the Geos pair off, others will be pushed away - so either 1 or 2 pair, IME.

I don't have any experience with Nics or Chocolates, but from what I've read/heard, they have a temperment a lot like Sevs, so you may be able to get away with a couple/few of each.

Are you planting the tank? If so, start the Sevs out small - the adults I added to a well established planted tank shredded everything. They don't eat the plants, they just like to rip 'em apart! :boxed:

Thanks, Jason. I am planning for the worst but hoping for the best with the severum plant-compatibility. The 150 will have two handful culmps of java moss and one annubius. So far so good with the sevs, but I will definately not be putting them in my 90!

My main reason for the silver dollars over barbs is to keep more of a South American feel to the tank, I like the way they school as well

You could go with angels some of them get quite large, and they occupy the middle/upper regions. They are not as aggressive as some of the other fish and work well in a s/a community.

Would clown loaches not take away from the SA/CA theme of the tank?

Yes they would