Lots of rockwork...

nighthawk

Hi, gurus of fish! I have a question for you. I am preparing to start a fairly large Tang tank, and I am worried about the weight of rock that will go in there. I have read on some on-line forums about using styrofoam/polystyrene underneath the rocks, to help distribute the weight. Do any of you have experience with this? Is it necessary?

Thanks for the wisdom... ^_^

It's probably not going to be that big of a deal. But, if you want some peace of mind, use eggcrate (ie. light difussors) - it won't float away when you move your rocks around

Alot of people use these things, and egg crate, but in actuallity, the tank glass can hold more than you think. I recall reading an article about different 'weight distributing' methods on another forum, and the conclusion they drew up was that egg crate and styrofoam don't really distribute the weight evenly, it doesn't really do anything at all. They also said the biggest factor is to have an even standing tank, so the glass cannot flex.

Even leveled stand=perfection.

strofoam does absolutely nothing on a seamed tank because all that needs to be supported is the 4 corners.

ALSO eggcrate does nothing either. i believe it could cause more damage then harm because the eggcrate focuses the weight more on one spot,

where as is on the glass it can be exerted to all corners of the tank.

thats my opinion.

Quinn

Okay The egg crate is not used to DIFUSS THE WEIGHT. It is used to protect the glass from rocks falling . Cichlids dig and rocks fall. Protect your glass. :blush:

Okay The egg crate is not used to DIFUSS THE WEIGHT. It is used to protect the glass from rocks falling . Cichlids dig and rocks fall. Protect your glass. :blush:

Yes! and when you add all that rock to the tank, there is a chance that you will slip and drop one...

In europe styrofoam is most popular, and here in north america egg crate. I like styrofoam better, but you should silicone it to the bottom. If not, and later on you need to remove some rocks when there is water in the tank, it will rise like a air matress while you still have lots of rocks on it and they will fall everywhere...

:thumbs: Thank you Patrick.

I have never used the styrofoam and most likey never will . but egg crate will protect and that is why people used it.

That is why I use it. Cheap and it works.

Agreed Frank, I use it in all of my tanks with rock work.

Stacey

I also use eggcrate in my tanks with lots of rocks. Its saved me more then a few times when I was moving rocks only to have one fall. Plus it helps prevent the rocks falling from fish digging under them. Just gives that little big of extra security but I agree its more to help with falling rocks then to distribute the weight.

I wouldnt' worry to much about rock weight in your tank. I've seen tanks packed full of slate that are fine. I also remember seeing a video of someone stacking rocks in a 10g. He must have put 100s of pounds of rock and then stood on top of it. It still didn't break. I'll try to find the video as it was quite funny.

Also think about salt tanks with all the live rock they stick in there. Those tanks can take the weight.

I was also told that something on the bottom, egg creat or foam will prevent small bits from getting trapped under larger rocks this could scratch or chip the glass creating a stress riser and increasing the liklyhood of breakage. It sounds logical enough but I don't really think that would ever happen. Maybe one in a billion or something. Personally I don't use anything but it can't hurt right. I have also seen tanks that had "fake" rock carved out of foam and painted. Looked amazing but I can imagine it was alot of work. I will try to find the pictures.

Agreed Frank, I use it in all of my tanks with rock work.

Stacey

I also use eggcrate in my tanks with lots of rocks. Its saved me more then a few times when I was moving rocks only to have one fall. Plus it helps prevent the rocks falling from fish digging under them. Just gives that little big of extra security but I agree its more to help with falling rocks then to distribute the weight.

I wouldnt' worry to much about rock weight in your tank. I've seen tanks packed full of slate that are fine. I also remember seeing a video of someone stacking rocks in a 10g. He must have put 100s of pounds of rock and then stood on top of it. It still didn't break. I'll try to find the video as it was quite funny.

Also think about salt tanks with all the live rock they stick in there. Those tanks can take the weight.