Type of canister filters?

ace99

I'm in the process of constructing a 73 gallon aquarium and wanted some advice on the type of canister filters that I should consider. The stand is being made by Robert from Majestic Aquariums, who has been very helpful and accomondating. I've always had smaller tanks so I have always used aqua-clear hook-on filters (which I didn't like that much). From some research, basically I figure that it comes down to Eheim vs Fluval. Are there others that I should consider? What do you guys think in terms of cost effectiveness, easy of maintenance, noise level, efficiency, durability etc. Oh yeah, I only plan to keep freshwater fish. Are these canister filters salt water compatible if I decide to keep marine fish in the future? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Personally I use Rena filters, I found that the ease of use with these filters where far better then the fuval's. Eheim's are far to pricey for my taste.

I run a XP2 on my 35gal and a XP3 on my 55, the XP3 is rated for over a 100gal tank i belive but i could be wrong there

they are nice and quiet and the quick release on them is awsome for cleaning the filter or changing media

Mark

Im gonna agree that Eheims are quite pricey, but if you have the cash available, they are worth your money. Personally I only have a Fluval 404, and that thing works wonders and can be a pain in my @$$ at the same time. Sometimes I takes me a good 5 minutes to get it flowing. Easiest way to get a stubborn fluval started is seal it, then tilt it on its side, start it up, then slowly tilt it back vertical.

I've heard great things about the Rena's, expecially for their price. Most people will definately tell you to go with an Eheim, because they are worth the cost difference. The only reason I still use my fluval is cause I know how to get it primed problem free (Tilting method)

Ty

The Eheim classic filters are the best (bar none) followed by the Rena, and the fluval a distant third.

The Eheim Pro filters are a waste of money, compared to the classic style.

I have all the Eheim classic filters and they are fig'en awesome.

My personal opinion is to buy a 2217 for your 73g.

XP3 is $199.00 at Petland in Wpg. right now although a year ago there were about $289.00. One word of caution with those filters that I just discovered tonight. I have had mine running for about 6 weeks to cycle it before using it on another tank. I wanted to clean the media so shut it off and while unsnapping the 4 latches that hold the top one of the plastic latch holders broke. There are two little hook shaped fittings attached to the sides of the canister for each latch and obviously will break off very easily.

rick

I'll likely end up picking up an XP3 system. Another question question I have is....is there a chance of one of the hoses coming loose and having all the water syphoning onto the floor? Is there a one - way valve of some sort built into the hoses? I know that this would not be a problem with a trickle filter as opposed to a canister filter.