Pleco Cave

corrosionjerry

I just put a couple pieces of black ABS pipe in behind the plants for mine.

Or find a nice piece of driftwood to include in the tank.

Coconut caves are a fave of my plecos, alhtough they dont' really look too natural in a tank by themselves. Adding some java moss to java fern to the outside helps them blend into planted tanks.

Edited by degrassi

I've had a lot of success with large pieces of driftwood that have natural hollow depressions in them. The male plecs are able to defend the holes in the wood and there is enough room for females to get trapped by the males. I suppose you could take a chisel to the lower side of a fairly thick piece of driftwood and hollow out your own pleco cave. I positioned my driftwood so the openings are pointed down and make sure the canister filter outlet is flowing past there aswell. I've built a number of slate caves using a tile saw unfortunately none of my plecs prefer them to the driftwood caves.

I've had a lot of success with large pieces of driftwood that have natural hollow depressions in them. The male plecs are able to defend the holes in the wood and there is enough room for females to get trapped by the males. I suppose you could take a chisel to the lower side of a fairly thick piece of driftwood and hollow out your own pleco cave. I positioned my driftwood so the openings are pointed down and make sure the canister filter outlet is flowing past there aswell. I've built a number of slate caves using a tile saw unfortunately none of my plecs prefer them to the driftwood caves.

Good Idea... that would look natural....

How much of a hole in the wood does it have to be..... depth and diameter...

I have a power head in that tank that is misting out CO2 for the plants.... would that be detremtal to current flow near the cave

Its a deep tank so I am not sure there is much current from the canister outflow

Perhaps I will have to install another small power head near the cave entrance... what do you guys think...

Hi Jerry

The thing I found that worked for me were two Clay pot bottoms. The clay plates that you put under your pots. Silicone together and than take a hammer and make a hole in it. The only thing that I have used that produce fry.

Cheap and it works. Have over 200 fry growing out here now. Just what works with mine. When I want fry , I just do a big water change,(40%) and sit back and watch the cave. Works for me , but I,m sure there are some Ten Gal Experts on here that will shoot this down.

Edited by Frank

The most natural look would be what Patrick described. What has worked for me have been veriticle PCV pipes (1.5") and overturned pot bottoms (like what Frank described, except I just used 1); so, that gives you an idea of the size of hole you'll need.

All these ideas are appreciated... I dont know what to do now! LOL I am thinking of doing a couple of your suggestions / The log and Terris cave ideas in my natural tank and Franks clay pot bottom idea and maybe Jasons vertical PCV pipe in my wild clown pleco tank.... they are a dwarf variety......thanks all

Edited by corrosionjerry

Hi Jerry

The thing I found that worked for me were two Clay pot bottoms. The clay plates that you put under your pots. Silicone together and than take a hammer and make a hole in it. The only thing that I have used that produce fry.

Cheap and it works. Have over 200 fry growing out here now. Just what works with mine. When I want fry , I just do a big water change,(40%) and sit back and watch the cave. Works for me , but I,m sure there are some Ten Gal Experts on here that will shoot this down.

Frank what size of clay bottoms do you use......

The hole that you break with the hammer is obviously on the face ... right / do you then burry the finnish product with the hole exposed for the plecos to come in... what size of hole are we talking about...

guess in my clown pleco tank it wouldnt need to be burried as it is just a breeding hotel........... hopefully

Thanks

This topic has been covered here on ALBERTAAQUATICA numerous times........here is a link to a search using only the word cave.....11 pages of results

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?act=S...ighlite=%2Bcave

....and this one had some good ideas.....

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showt...127&hl=cave

James

Jerry .

I use the 4 to 6 inch clay bottoms. I break the hole in the top one and kind of on the side or edgeof it.

Makes for a jagged type hole but it works for me. I also file the edges down so they are not to sharpe.

One hole is best. I think Frank is just talking about 2 different designs. I break a hole on the edge for my pot-plates. To get the PVC to stand vertically, I cut a 4-6" length, stick it in a pot and fill sand in around the pipe.

Jerry, here is mine in action.

post-448-1206545197_thumb.jpg

Perfect. That is what i mean jerry. Thanks Seajays.