Purple Algae?

dk77

Hey guys was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of algae this is, or if it is even algae. Have been keeping fish for a long time and have never had a tank that gets purple algae like this one, don't get any green algae, just this purple stuff. Nitrates are kept fairly low (<20ppm), and all other parameters seem to be good. Is this stuff something I should be worried about?

dscf1046gf8.jpg

dscf1073te0.jpg

Thanks

Edited by dk77

It is most likely just a form of brown algae that looks purple due to the underlying color of the rocks.

Did you get that rock from burnco? I got some similar looking slate from burnco and had the same looking algae the entire time it was in my tank. I dont know what it is, but it tended to accumulate it areas with high light. I ended rescaping my tank and took the rocks out, not really due to the algae, just went for a different look.

These rocks are from Burnco, and the algae does only seem to grow in high light areas. Don't think it is brown algae or a reaction as I get the same purple algae growing on my substrate and on the tank glass. Wierd, wonder what the hell is in those rocks?

I have the same kind of rocks in some of my tanks and the same thing purple algae grows on them to as well

as some of the other different kinds of rocks that I have. Never seems to ever bother the fish at all though.

But in one of my tanks I have a Chinese algae eater and he loves the stuff so much and ended up with

purple lips looks pretty funny but he loves the stuff!