Driftwood

Mandy

I'm not sure if this is technically DIY so someone can move it if you need to! I'm just curious as to where Albertans have found natural driftwood, and the best places to look. Now that it's summer I'd like to go hunting for some large driftwood!

As well, any suggestions on stores/suppliers would be nice too, in case I can't find what I want. Do landscaping companies/stores carry driftwood?

You should be able to find some good chunks down by the River. My mother lives on Vcr Isl, so I often get some from the beaches, there.

You should be able to find some good chunks down by the River. My mother lives on Vcr Isl, so I often get some from the beaches, there.

well seeing how i am on the river nearly every day fishing i see all the good drift wood.

in the city there is a ton of good stuff in fishcreek park

if walk downstream of the 22x bridge. (if you follow bow bottom all the way in to the furthest parking lot you wont have to walk far.)

another AWSOME place for driftwood would be ghost resivour. just past cochrane.

if you park just before you go over it on the bridge and walk down to the left, there is tonsss of drift wood.

hope this helped

ps ghost is deffinattly worth the drive... there is alot more to choose from, aswell as there pieces are alot cooler.

Edited by energie

Clear lakes in wooded areas are good places to find waterlogged driftwood but you need to get wet or have a boat to retrieve them---I got a boat full of cool pieces in Swan lake northwest of Caroline once.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone know where to look more towards edmonton?

i need some giant pieces as well.

We got a river too! I have seen lots taking the dog out around the dawson and gretzky bridges. Great walking trails just look around sure you will find something. Also little bogs and swamps on peoples land are great. just ask first. Most people don't care. Drive around some of the farms around the east end of the city lots of low lying land.

• 1 year later...

I was talking to one of the employees at the LFS about a piece of driftwood I had found by the river and put into a new tank. He cautioned me about that piece of wood citing that the wood may leech toxins into the tank or that it may introduce strange and horrible parasites into my new setup. Has anyone heard of this happening, how to control it, etc. Other than suggesting that I buy driftwood he had no remedies. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brendan

I was talking to one of the employees at the LFS about a piece of driftwood I had found by the river and put into a new tank. He cautioned me about that piece of wood citing that the wood may leech toxins into the tank or that it may introduce strange and horrible parasites into my new setup. Has anyone heard of this happening, how to control it, etc. Other than suggesting that I buy driftwood he had no remedies. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brendan

I've had the wood toxin problem. You'll recognize a wood smell in the room, then it's wood oil. charcoal fixes it. I've also got a strange fungus that thus far is harmless but grows underneath the shade of plants. And some white worms that my corydoras seemed to destroy since only my buddies tank got it and in my tank they were decimated.

River driftwood here in edmonton i'd me mightly worried about what that wood absorbed out of our poluted water before it got beached. I personally wouldn't put it in any tank unless i didn't really care about the fish living through the experience and or living a long happy life. If it were anywhere else then take a good look at who and what is upriver and see if you still want it.

Just my opinion.

L