Power head Suggestions?

punman

I have three canisters and want a little more flow in my 180 gallon. I have good filtration - just want some better surface movement. Not looking at more filtering. Any suggestion on brand or model number? Have never owned power heads before so don't even know what to look for in features. Or are they all about the same anyways?

I hav a power sweep it works great unless plants get into it.

If you just want to move water the Korilias by Hydor are the way to go, IMO. If you do want to use them as a filter some time in the future, MaxiJet may be the way to go - plus, there are a lot of DIY sites out there on how to turn your MaxiJet into a Korilia-type PH.

Hydor Koralia are good for just water circulation, they are silent and energy efficient. Maxi-jets are a bit more versatile if you ever decide to use them for anything else. You can get a mod kit for the MJ's for about $15 that takes the flow of an MJ 1200 to 1600 gph. Or you can do the mod yourself it's pretty simple.

If you just want to move water the Korilias by Hydor are the way to go, IMO. If you do want to use them as a filter some time in the future, MaxiJet may be the way to go - plus, there are a lot of DIY sites out there on how to turn your MaxiJet into a Korilia-type PH.

Who in Calgary carries Korilas by Hydor?

Check out Golds on 17th ave SE i agree that the korilia #4 power heads are great i'm runnung them and the seio 26oo on my 220 gal but for cost and power useage buy the Korilia..

I use the Korilias by Hydor #4 on my 180 and the 240 gal. The are great i think. Got them at Golds. I think they were $59.00 each.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have to join most ppls comments.

I got 2 Koralia #3's in my 54G... they move ALOT of water, quietly, and efficiently!

I agree with this.......

hydor korilia are the best and use les power...

imo

......unless you really want to go all out. Get a Tunze. More expensive, but more versitile. Stands up to being hooked up to a wavemaker controller. The korallia's don't like to be switched off and on repeatedly.

I have both Tunzes and the Koralias- the Koralias being a recent addition. I switched over because of the really wimpy mounting system for the Tunze nanostreams. They break CONSTANTLY. Tunze will replace the mounting brackets, but it's still a major PITA. Go with the Koralias for surface movement, IMO. They stick out a bit more (the Tunzes just blended into the background), but the extra durability in the mounting system is worth it.