where to get rocks for an aquarium

chtaylor26

A rock quarry or landscaping store is your best bet for cheap rocks.

If you are worried about the rocks altering your PH you can test it with acid. Vinegar is ok but the first bottle of a nitrate test kit should be hydrochloric acid(thats what I've read anyways) and that should work. If the rock fizzles, don't use it.

For cleaning I usually just scrub with hot water.

I have a large rock pile in my back pasture and I got a bunch of the rocks I'm using in my tanks from it. Anyone willing to drive to Bluffton and is willing to pick their own rocks is welcome to as many as they can take away. :flex:

I scrubbed them with a nail brush first, then put them in my dishwasher and ran it through a complete cycle without soap. I've had some of the rocks in my tanks for a month and all the fish seem okay at this point.

I want to add a bunch of natural stone to my aquarium for my cichlids. I went to a rock quarry and have a few ideas but am open to suggestions. any ideas? Any treatment methods?

I picked up a trunk load from along the hiway to Kananaskis and from the Bow river... I washed them first.... I have been using them for over 8 months now in 4 tanks and have no problems....No way am I paying $2.50 a pound at a LFS....

We have picked up some BEAUTIFUL rocks of all shapes and sizes and colors from along the river in my town. :)

I went to burnco a while ago and got rocks for dirt cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Many choices as you can see. One good point I heard from a really great speaker at the Fish Show COAC, is to use just one type of rock ,not a mishmash. So if you go with lava rock ,do the whole aqua scape with the lava. If you do rounded river stone, go all the same river stone. Be very aware of the possibility of fish knocking large rocks over by them digging. Some ppl use the plastic eggcrate to protect the bottom glass, they pour the substrate over that then add the large rocks.

As for weight, your tank can hold an amazing amount of weight. Look at some of those marine tanks full to the top with heavy man made cement rock for stuff to grow on (technical speak as I know very close to nothing about salties). Some african tanks I've seen probably have over 150lBs. of rock alone. Mine has , guessing here, 80lBs. I think. When I tear the tank apart for major cleaning, it fills 5 x 5gal. buckets and a bit, lava rock. Just no sudden drops and you'll be fine.

Too many different types of rocks just looks bad. There's no flow, and it looks like every time you found 'another pretty rock' you just added it to your tank without any rhyme or reason. Using one type of rock helps the tank look more natural, and like everything belongs together and is finished.

You might imagine if you are setting up a biotrope, you are recreating a snapshot of the waterway where your fish are from. If it's a riverbed it would be all rounded stones.....Amazon flooded field might not have stones, only a tangle of mangrove tree roots (all the same wood,same concept).