Bricks! New tank decor...

Boom

So a few weeks ago I changed out my tank decor. This is what it looked like before:

P1010541.jpg

P1010588.jpg

I got some new bricks from a brick yard. I spent some time with an angle grinder and dremel tool getting rid off the sharp edges. I've had some bad luck with fish getting cut up on sharp edges on other rocks so now I get rid of them. I then power washed and soaked the bricks in pails for a good week. Testing the water revealed that the bricks raise the pH and Carbonate hardness somewhat, not a bad thing for my Africans. I gave them a final rinse in old tank water (at the time of a water change) as I added them into the tank. I also got some new fake plants from Michaels and rinsed them well also.

This is my tank now:

P1010757.jpg

P1010758.jpg

P1010759.jpg

This is the Pseudotropheus I bought at the last auction. He's doing just great in my tank.

P1010762.jpg

Please let me know what you think! I think it will look even better after some algae grows on the bricks.

Edited by Boom

I like the before shots better- more natural. It looks like a giant pez dispenser blew up in there. Most of your fish are haps anyway, and will do better with less rockwork.

Interesting design. Lots of hidey holes and the perfect sized hidey holes for your fish. the background is interesting too but i don't think it goes well with the black sand and white bricks you have now. Hmm you could always paint the background :)

Post picks with the algae growth it will probably make it look lots better and less harsh. Good luck.

Enjoy it and forget what anyone else says as long as you like it that's all that matters since you have to live with it.

Have a great weekend

L

Edited by Ishkabod

Thanks everyone!

That looks very unique!! Definitely allot of hiding places for the fish. I have never seen white brick like that before where did you find it?

I got the brick from a brick place just south of Argyll Rd on 86 st, can't remember the name of it. They had all colors but I wanted a stark contrast to the black. I think I achieved that.

I like the before shots better- more natural. It looks like a giant pez dispenser blew up in there. Most of your fish are haps anyway, and will do better with less rockwork.

To each his own. But I think the before looked fake too with the crappy plants I had and the background isn't condusive to a real natural look. So I wasn't going for that. "Most of my fish are Haps"??? Not sure where you got that from. I have 4 Haps out of 21 fish in that tank. And lots of swimming room in front besides. The pics don't show the space well. The bricks are a bit on the large size tho. Maybe they won't look so big when I switch to a 150. And I like Pez.

I think it looks great. Unique.

Unique was my goal, thanks for the compliment!

I just feel that everyone and their brother tries to set up a "natural looking" tank. Most fail miserably IMHO. Thats just from the experience of looking at hundreds and hundreds of pictures of African Cichlid tank setups on the net. Compared to the pictures and video's I've seen of the fish's in the actual lakes Malawi and Tanginyka, few people get it even close.

So my thought was "why bother?". But of coarse as long as the fish and the owner like it...

Thanks for looking everyone. Keep the comments coming, good or not.

I will definitely post more pics with algae. And I got 3 new fish today I want to post pics of too. A wild caught goldhead compressiceps, a Tropheus moorii "Kaiser II", and a Ps. Acei "yellowtail". Real nice additions I think.

"Most of my fish are Haps"??? Not sure where you got that from.

From the picture maybe. I guess enforcing the law all the time makes you want to break a few with your tank set-up. And ,from now on ,could you please address me in French. LOL. You are right some are peacocks ,in the picture, but have the same requirements. With that crazy mix of fish soup the brick work will definitely help when aggression issues arise. Mixing mbuna with haps and peacocks is often done successfully but I don't think the tangs are a good fit for the long run. Chacun son gout!

Here are a few that are great biotope tanks:

14135a.jpg

6596a.jpg

2425a.jpg

"Most of my fish are Haps"??? Not sure where you got that from.

From the picture maybe. I guess enforcing the law all the time makes you want to break a few with your tank set-up. And ,from now on ,could you please address me in French. LOL. You are right some are peacocks ,in the picture, but have the same requirements. With that crazy mix of fish soup the brick work will definitely help when aggression issues arise. Mixing mbuna with haps and peacocks is often done successfully but I don't think the tangs are a good fit for the long run. Chacun son gout!

Here are a few that are great biotope tanks:

14135a.jpg

6596a.jpg

2425a.jpg

There is a law to how a tank should be set up??? Unfortunatley it's this attitude that makes this hobby turn undesireable for so many people. Nobody should be told how to set up their tank. I certainly hope you didn't mean that. I would count these in the "very close" category. The real problem is that the real lakes have huge boulders on the bottom, not really small rocks, from what I've seen. So replicating that in an aquuarium 1 millionth the size of a lake is very tough. There are no plants in the lake either from what I've seen. Just algae and Auwfuchs.

For anyone who hasn't seen videos of lake Malawi, here's a few youtube links.

This is for anyone wondering if their fish like current. (also notice the O.B)

Do a search on youtube and there are tons more.

Edited by Boom

Certainly there are no "laws" but there are a few guidelines set forth by experienced hobbyists. Generally it is good husbandry to try to meet the needs of the fish you keep. Once you have a larger tank you'll be able to do that but currently I don't believe you provide enough room for your open water species. I would also never recommend mixing species from different lakes. If you want to keep both then leave the tangs in the current tank when you get the new one. I'm not telling you what to do but I think its sound advice.

Sound advice appreciated. And that is actually my plan anyway, once I get the 150 the Peacocks, Haps and Mbuna will go in there and the Tangs will stay in the 55. But for now they all get along fine and there is actually alot more swimming room than what appears it the pics.

Guidelines are just that, guidelines. There are no hard and fast rules, and many many options can work. :beer: