120gal looking for ideas

MarkN

I have a 120 gallon setup with very little in it, just a few bottom guys and I am thinking of going South American in it. I am lloking for ideas and compatible tank mates, not really interested in breeding just some big colourful guys. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Also anyone know where to get big hunks of wood for the tank?

Thanks Mark

I have a 120 gallon setup with very little in it, just a few bottom guys and I am thinking of going South American in it. I am lloking for ideas and compatible tank mates, not really interested in breeding just some big colourful guys. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mark

well im not to knowledge it SA, but you could do an oscar or 2, they are like the dogs of the sea. or you could order a bunch or little trios or more of different types of appistogramma and then maybe put a few schools of something for the top

and for the wood, you can usualy get some nice pieces at your LFS

Edited by karazy

I like the big guys like redhead cichlids or severums if you like docile. If you go with the nasties maybe the jags, but make sure you have a lot of wood and such for the bottom dwellers to keep safe.

If you want South Americans....look into Satanoperca leucosticta, if you want larger more docile chichlids.

They are often sold as Geophagus jurupari which are very similar.

If size doesn't matter do some research on any of the Gymnogeophagus family.

I had some Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus back in the day and i loved them.

They were very colorful and had some quite abit of spunk for a mid to small S/A cichlid.

Good luck.

It would depend if it were a 120 tall or long, a tall would look good with discus, while a long would house some nice earth eaters like the geo altifrons

There are many different options, but it is up to you to decide whether you want to keep aggressive ones, or peaceful ones. Discus would be my first choice, but you would have to be willing to take the extra time in caring for them. I learned my lesson the hard way. I also like the satanoperca jurupari for an earth eater, but there are many different geophagus/gymnogeophagus or satanoperca species that would go well in a large tank. I would stay away from apisto's in such a large tank, besides that they might get eaten by any large species of fish you have. Even if you like angels, they can easily be kept with earth eaters. There are many varieties and options. You could possible put in a school of tetras to use as dither fish, they make community tanks look quite nice.

Wood you can usually get from any LFS. Malaysian driftwood is the most popular because it won't float to the top of the tank. But it gets pricey the bigger you go.

Edited by firestorm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My jag and my old Midas annihalated each other.

Not a likely mix.

I would have to agree with Pimpdocta.

The male Jag and the male midas idea is a time bomb.

ditto, but whenever you mix large cichlids they are always going to fight. A oscar and some sd would work. Or you could mix a jd with a oscar. I always suggest oscars -roll- keep us updated on what you put in your tank.

Thanks Mark

I'm new at this and hope this one posts. I have picked up up driftwood along the river in Bragg Creek, and along lakes when I travel. I boil the wood in a huge canning pot, dump out the water and do it again a few times. Then I soak it in water, changing the water daily until it stops leaching - that takes about a week. One of the pieces I found fit my 70gal end to end and I ended up cutting it it half.

• 3 weeks later...