Who would you trust? PH ?

Ok this is what is happening.... I have two PH kits The Nutrafin wide range kit 4.5-9.0 that reads in increments of .5 and I have an API kit 6-7.6 that reads in increments of .2............

My water in the tank I am watching closely is reading between 5.5 and 6 with the nutrafin and with the API the water is reading 6.6

Big difference... my gut is telling me the API is the real deal..........

What do you think?

I really struggle with the colour charts that come with the test kits. From what I have read, the plastic card that gets printed does not have the proper colours sometimes... For the low range pH test kits the chemical used is Bromothymol Blue in many... so the (low range) test kits you have may both be using Bromothymol Blue. Are they both the same colour in the test tube and the charts are different shades?

Even though, you have 3 tests... 5.5--6.0--6.5 average 6.0 and none of them are really that far off. To see if the pH changes, pick your favourite test kit and keep testing. If it is a planted tank, get a drop checker and some 4 dkH solution to watch your pH and CO2 concentration. A pH controller/monitor can be bought for about $120.

Edited by byte

In my experience, pH isn't the most important property to moniter - it changes quite a bit in nature, too. The main property you need to keep an eye on is hardness (or more accurately, alkilinity - the water's ability to buffer) - the loss in alkilinity is what caused Werner's pH crash.

You may want to raise the KH a bit. It's generally recommended that you keep it over 4dh. Anything lower may not have enough buffering capacity to prevent a pH crash. Baking soda will work: 0.5 tsp per 25 gallons will raise the KH by 1dh. It does not affect the GH.

the loss in alkilinity is what caused Werner's pH crash.

Actually, I believe my pH crash was due to the acids produced by long term buildup of organics in the substrate. The KH was the first thing I checked, but it hadn't dropped at all.

If you are really concerned about monitoring your pH, you can get the pen type pH probes pretty cheap.

You may want to raise the KH a bit. It's generally recommended that you keep it over 4dh. Anything lower may not have enough buffering capacity to prevent a pH crash. Baking soda will work: 0.5 tsp per 25 gallons will raise the KH by 1dh. It does not affect the GH.

Thank You for that information.... I Learn something new every day...

the loss in alkilinity is what caused Werner's pH crash.

Actually, I believe my pH crash was due to the acids produced by long term buildup of organics in the substrate. The KH was the first thing I checked, but it hadn't dropped at all.

If you are really concerned about monitoring your pH, you can get the pen type pH probes pretty cheap.

I will look into one of these devices... anyone know where I could purchase one economically that is reliable?

Edited by corrosionjerry

Are you adjusting your water for discus Jerry?

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?fr...&category0=

Here they have a few different ones. If you've never bought off Ebay before, always check the seller's ranking. Better to buy from someone who all the others have been happy with, rating of 98% if thousands, or 99-100% if there are only 100 or less in the number next to his star. buynow means if you pay the asking price you will win the bid.