'NOTHER NEWBIE

robin

Hello out there. My name is Robin, I just signed on to this forum. I found myself going to fish stores and picking the brains of staff, until one brilliant man at Nature's Miracle gave me this forum.

So many questions..........

Well, a little info about me first. I had a little 10 gal downstairs for years, danios, tetras, pleco, the like. Then my husband bought a Ducati (expenive motorbike). I wanted something classy also!! So...he bought me a nice 45 gallon tank for my living room. I love it, it is absolutely beautiful. I gaze at my fishies and just love the relaxation. We have 4 small children, so when they go to bed, you will find me sitting on a chair in front of my tank.

In there I now have:

2 red rams

big pleco

2 Balloon (???) rams

5 glass catfish

3 kuhli loaches (sp?)

1 kuboati loach (sp?)

1 panda cory

1 other cory

3 kiili fish (sp?)

2 priscilla tetras

1 lowly little neon

3 lemon tetras

hmmmmm, hope i din't miss anybody.

oops, yes a single male congo tetra.

I just lost my albino bristlenose pleco yesterday. There has been a little carnage in my tank lately, prompting me to beg for answers at fish stores. I lost my angels (2), a glass catfish, a ruby barb, a kiili fish, my female congo, and got rid of my danios. I also gave back a red tail shark and a ruby barb, they were jerks.

I treated the tank with melafix as the female congo lost her tail fin. I got rid of the 2 leftover jerks. My water is just peachy on the test strip. The fish are all young(er).

Any ideas on why, a week after I finished treatment, and got rid of the shark, now I find my beloved little pleco dead??

I thought I was ready to get some more congo's, but now I should obviously wait for a bit.

Well, there's the scoop. Looking forward this forum.

Cheers, Robin

Hello and :welcome: to AA!

I am not an expert on the causes of tank problems, etc. but the problems I can see that you have a few schooling fish species that would do well with more numbers (so you might have to get rid of others to avoid overstocking) the Cories, Tetras, and the Loaches all like to be in groups (I think 5 or more at least is best for each (except the Kuhlis they should be ok at 3 or more)).

Besides that, you tank sounds like a great community. God luck!

Taylor

:welcome: to AA:D Sounds like you have a nice tank. I agree with the numbers thing. Critters like the cories really do better, I think it's safety in numbers. You'll see that their behaviors are even more interesting.

Unfortunately I'm not sure, with what you describe,what might be wrong. You are correct that some fish are much too bosy for other more delicate ones. Questions like, do you have plants? Enough hidy holes? Water quality? Is the tank cycled fully? etc. There are many people here who can help , more info is needed though. As it is it sounds like pushy critters causing injuries. Sue

I treated the tank with melafix as the female congo lost her tail fin. I got rid of the 2 leftover jerks. My water is just peachy on the test strip. The fish are all young(er).

Any ideas on why, a week after I finished treatment, and got rid of the shark, now I find my beloved little pleco dead??

I thought I was ready to get some more congo's, but now I should obviously wait for a bit.

Well, there's the scoop. Looking forward this forum.

Cheers, Robin

I too found that with Melafix that I lost some catfish. I believe that it causes more surface tension on the water and causes the oxygen level to go down. Do water changes and if possible add extra surface movement to the tank to increase absorption o2

:welcome:

I too have something in common with you and your husband, Patrick my other half does have a nice new toy (same bike ...), but I too got myself a nice little Mare quarter horse filly I get to ride on ....

Welcome to the forum...

Thanks for the tips on the tank, so far, so good with the last couple of days. Hoping all are happy now!!

Here's a pic of the bike.........funny no one on the forum asked for a pic of my tank!!!! LOL

ps....hubby wants to know what kind of a ducati you ride? He has a 2008 1098.

okay....any tips on how to post a photo here????

I think you were gypped. A brand new Ducati should get you something a bit bigger than a 45gal...

Welcome to the forum :)

I agree, the cost is a ratio of 20:1.

I'd take a horse or a Harley, but have to settle for some fishies....I'm not complaining though, love my tank.

I use test strips for nitrate, nitrite, ph, kh, and i think one other thing.

Forgot to mention my gourami and an upside down catfish.