Has any one used any think like this before

snaggle

I see one alot like this in a pet store in 100 Mile House BC about two weeks ago. The same kind of filter material in it , just a bit bigger. They found that the filters would plug off fast and they were forever cleaning or replacing them. It is just way to fine and plugs off fast.

Yeah, you would either need a lot bigger Mechanical compartment, or filter the tank thru some floss/sponge before you used this thing. Like Frank said, it just clogs too fast for our typical tanks... It would probably be great to use after a sump.

It may be ok if you used a large sponge filter on the intake.

haven't used that one, but once you buy a particular filter, you might want to have some flexibility on what media you put in it. Kinda like when you get a printer and ink cartridges. Shuure, the new printer is 'Free' but then you have to buy their cartridges for life at whatever they say.

I would personally buy something simpler and have more flexibility... I'm going with a sump with lots of bio media and java moss for my 210. Not sure what it will look like in a year, but that's OK 'cause as I learn, I can change it.