HOLY MOLY WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?

turtlechick

My parrot is okay now, but it looks like something took a round out of my Bala Shark. I set up a hospital tank 2 days ago. How long do I have to wait to move him? I have a "stingray" filter and a heater in there. I also bought some Melafix and some Stress coat for when I do move him. He's missing 1 of his tail fins and a few scales are missing too.......some advice? My water paramaters are okay.....but my tank is EXTREMELY cloudy....and has been for like a week.

my Koi tank has been going cloudy lately because i've been overfeeding a bit. My koi are not eating as much because winter is coming. I just do a 50% water change and don't touch the gravel then i do another 50% a couple of days later if the cloudiness continues. My koi and water params are fine when i do this. Personally i'd vaccume the heck out of that gravel IF you haven't done it in a while and or IF overfeeding isn't your problem and give one of your filters a tank water bath. That should do the trick.

Good luck and I isolate my fish with damage in the tank in breeding nets so they have a little less stress. Plus Melafix is okay for the whole tank too.

Good luck

Lisa

p.s. if you can't find a breeder net big enough then buying a large enough fish net and adding rocks or gravel to the bottom and haveing that sit at the top of your fish tank is another cheep alternative

There are products on the market to clear cloudy water. I have only used once and that was Mardel Brite N' Clear.

I don't recommend such being used on a regular basis but can be used as a diagnostic tool. If used and the water doesn't clear, probably bacterial problem. If it does clear then probably filtration problem - inadequate, foam too coarse, substrate very fine and remains suspended long time. If it does clear, remember your filter is going to be full of gunk and will need a cleaning ASAP.

Hope this helps. :)

What temperature is your Koi tank at?

I would be cleaning the gravel at every water change in a Koi tank. If you are getting cloudy water, then there is something wrong, you just aren't doing the test for it. We can't test for everything!

my Koi tank has been going cloudy lately because i've been overfeeding a bit. My koi are not eating as much because winter is coming. I just do a 50% water change and don't touch the gravel then i do another 50% a couple of days later if the cloudiness continues. My koi and water params are fine when i do this. Personally i'd vaccume the heck out of that gravel IF you haven't done it in a while and or IF overfeeding isn't your problem and give one of your filters a tank water bath. That should do the trick.

Good luck and I isolate my fish with damage in the tank in breeding nets so they have a little less stress. Plus Melafix is okay for the whole tank too.

Good luck

Lisa

p.s. if you can't find a breeder net big enough then buying a large enough fish net and adding rocks or gravel to the bottom and haveing that sit at the top of your fish tank is another cheep alternative

Cloudiness is almost always a bacterial bloom. Do vacuum your gravel. Stop feeding for 3 days and do your water changes. You'll need to starve the bacteria. You are likely overfeeding. I am bad for this too. Slow sinking pellets are probably best for you as the parrot and is eating off the bottom and your shark will eat as it sinks? The parrot is a blood parrot? One with the big mouth that doesn't close? I haven't seen mine do anything but chase so I'm not sure he would be the culprit. Anybody else in the tank like a big pleco?

Edited by Qattarra

Despite what the packaging says, an AC50 is nowhere near enough filtration for a 55G tank. Consider upgrading to an AC70 at least. I've no idea what size your fish are now but they will all grow to a pretty decent size and that little filter will not be able to keep up. I run my two 50G tanks using a Rena XP2 and XP3 and odds are I don't have as big a fish load as you do.

Sorry I meant the stingray filter is in the hospital tank, not my big tank. I have an AC 50 in my 55 gallon tank.

The largest tank I use an A/C 50 on is a 20gal. I have an A/C 500 (A/C 110) and a Resun 808 on my 55gal.

It,s roughly filtration for 250gal+.

I don't mean brand spankin' new. I mean like 2 months old...it's a lot of money to spend again....oh well, if that's what I need....

I came in this morning and the tank is nice and clear and not stinky.......I think I've got it!!!!! Although, I can't seem to find my shark anywhere...I think the fish had a meal while I was gone :-(

I have on my 50gal a Fluval 205, AC70 and 1 sponge filter. I am hoping to obtain an AC 110 for my 120 gal, and I already have the canester filter and sponge filter for it, Also will be buying a power head for it too. I think I would like one power head at each end so that the filtration will have a bet chance of getting it all... either that or I will get it all as it is pushed to the middle...haha...

I was once told that you can never have to much filtration. Also multiple filtration is great for when you need to clean out the filters, you can clean one leave one, then a couple weeks later clean the other one, that way your tank wont ever have to cycle again... never clean them both at the same time...

Lana

I came in this morning and the tank is nice and clear and not stinky.......I think I've got it!!!!! Although, I can't seem to find my shark anywhere...I think the fish had a meal while I was gone :-(

You should really check the tank(remove decorations etc) to try and find that shark. If its died and is stuck in the decorations the tank will become more poluted. Also, unless you have a fish that can eat the bala shark whole, you should be left with a body, even if it is just a skeleton.