Happy Halloween to me

Vallisneria

Oh man, I just went and checked my 58g planted tank and the CO2 tank was flowing very high into the tank. I looked closer and all my fish are now dead, or pretty much dead(floating barely breathing).

I had just refilled my co2 tank on wednesday. I had set up the regulator and it was flowing about 1 bubble/sec on wednesday and thursday(checked it before bed). Something must have happened when the solenoid turned on this morning as the bubbles were a constant stream when I found it. The lights/co2 turn on around 11am and I just found them at 1:30. a few were gasping when I found them but now they are pretty much dead(breathing very sporatically and only if I touch them). I didn't think it would kill them that fast.

Thankfully I didn't add the new angelfish i had also bought on wed.

I've lost

1 serpae tetra

1 dwarf neon rainbowfish

5 Zebra loaches

5 congo tetras

2 SAE

3 Bull dog plecos

I can't find Hoover my BN pleco to check on him(he's 8yo :cry: )

Stupid CO2 :cuss: Any ideas why it would be bubbling normal the night before but would change so drastically when it turned back on the next day?

So sorry about your loss. It so devastating to lose a whole tank of fish...:cry:

Maybe your bubble counter opened up and allowed the CO2 to flow unchecked. I control the CO2 by a pH meter, and if my pH meter fails, then I might have the same fate as yours too. :(

I had this happen a few years ago - my roommate was home and called me in a panic telling me that my CO2 was just bubbling into the tank like mad! The fish were all but belly-up. I told him to do a big WC, making as much turbulence when pouring in the water as possible. Most of the fish that were still gasping recovered, even though they looked toast.

Was there a big temp change? If the tank was cold, when it heated up the pressure would increase and cause the CO2 to dump - that's what happened to me.

I left the fish in the tank hoping some would revive. A couple of the congos and a Zebra loach are now swimming around a bit, but breathing really heavily. The rest are 100% dead now though so I scooped them :(

I dont' believe there was a temp change, atleast nothing drastic(a couple degrees from the lights maybe). Why would a tamp change in the tank affect the co2 bottle outside the tank?

I left the fish in the tank hoping some would revive. A couple of the congos and a Zebra loach are now swimming around a bit, but breathing really heavily. The rest are 100% dead now though so I scooped them :(

I dont' believe there was a temp change, atleast nothing drastic(a couple degrees from the lights maybe). Why would a tamp change in the tank affect the co2 bottle outside the tank?

Not the fish tank the co2 tank.

Yes its a milwaukee regulator(regulator/solenoid/needle valve combo).Its been working fine for about a year now.

I did notice that on wednesday(when I set it back up) I would adjust it and then then bubbles would slow down. I'd adjust it again and it wouldnt' stay constant(slow down again). I wasn't too bad, it was still flowing just a tiny bit slower.

I didn't think it was a issue as it was slowing down not flowing faster. Thursday it stayed pretty constant at the rate I wanted it to. I thought I had had it set properly. Then this morning when it turned on it was flowing like crazy.

Right now I have it turned off. Im a bit scared to try turning it on again.

I guess tomorrow i'll try turning it on really low, then make sure I check it the next day as soon as the solenoid turns it on so this doesn't happen again.