Ponds and Pond fish

HOSStile

Being as we are approaching spring some of our thoughts turn to our "outdoor aquariums." I think my goldfish must be getting extremely tired of swimming around and around in a couple of tubs in the basement for the last 6 months, not to mention dizzy. I wish I knew when I dug my first long hole in the backyard,3 years ago, what I know now. (see picture)

I've come a long ways since my first 99 dollar Walmart pond, well ok, I made the long hole 3 times longer and put a little bridge over it so my niece could cross over to the sandy area on the other side. Anyway just feeling out this forum for any interest in ponds and pond fish.

I think its a good idea. Have a 2300 gallon pond that i can't wait for the ice to melt off of. Looking to restock with Japanese koi and new water lilies this spring.

I know there is a lot we could discuss here a few being,

1. Filtration as in UV sterilizers, Bio Filters, Multi chamber filters, the crappy piece of foam rubber that comes with the pumps.

2. Which brings us to pumps ,which are good? which are bad? are there alternatives to to the little over priced pumps? swimming pool pumps, sump pumps, what have you.

3. And of course the fish, last year my comets that I bought from Petsmart for 39 cents 2 year earlier started to have babies, unfortunately because of bad filtration they got sick and 10 of 14 adults died. I saw no sign of illness in any of the fish until I found them belly up. The rest I saved in a "hospital" tub. I bought a beautiful koi at the last breeders auction and put them in a tub where I was now holding my healthy comets. The one thing I didn't know was koi like to jump. I have a tub next to my goldfish that held plants. I looked for the koi the next morning and found it in with the plants. I attributed this to me losing my mind or excessive rye, or something. I put him back in the tub with the comets. We found him dead on top of the plants in the plant tub, he had been unable to wiggle off the floating vegetation, and get into the water.

I just told you all this in the hope that we establish a viable forum in which to discuss problems and share stories and pictures of our "outdoor" aquariums

Harold :beer:

Edited by HOSStile

So admin, what are you thinking, It seems to be pond season soon and I don't know when i'm suposed to restart my pond which hopefully can be done as soon as possible so that I can use the 60 gallon to grow out some syno's i wanna buy.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAASEE

J-ROC says "well since you asked nicely It'll be up by tomorow" I think i heard him say that, anyone in edmonton hear him I know he's calling it out right now, oh wait a second I think i heard it again, maybe he said "don't continue writeing an entire page about absolutely nothing", no he wouldn't say that everyone loves my nothing, and right Now all the mods and admin in calgary are saying that we can have a pond forum, just listen everyone i can really here it!!!! and then someone was like I'm gonna give you lot's of money, who was that, which one of you, really need to put some names to those voices. Ohoooohohhohoh fishes inn the goldfish tank say "I wanna go outside" syno's in the store told me that i shou;d put goldfish outside and buy them, so if anyone here actually want's to post something to tell me the answer to the goldfish outsideslashstarting pond question it would be greatly apreciated and on the side not a really great place to put that would be in a pond section. Where we talk about ponds and people say "hey this is what you do with a pond" of course we only have a small pond some three hundred or so gallons the original kit, you see was for like a 240 gallon poond but we dug the hole to big so bought a kit for a 500 gallon pond but were much to lazy to expand the pond to five hundred gallons. This is partly why we need a pond section several other people out there were just saying jsut a minute ago "hey I wish I were on a Alberta fish forum that had a section about ponds in it right now", but regardless of what people really want it is up to the admin who are very busy so be patient an wait until we hear from you guys J/K I only care about me of course I hope this doesn't really effect your decisions mod and really anybody reading this should go away this is pointless and a waste of avaluable time that could be used to crreate a pond section, eh eh eh heheh?(HINT) that's right I think you got the point but will contninue for several more words, cause those goldfish over there (to my right and then behind) are actually writeing this hehe, J/K. God I crack myself up sometimes. But wouldn't you all like to know what color my goldfish are, well one is white while mostly it has some orange spots here and some orange spots there, "like an orangutang?" "Uh.. no, stupid", then it has some black on it's tail fins , I bought it at pisces as an orange white longtailed comet, and we also bought soem orerange oens as well which seem to have lost most of their scales resulting in some white ptaches but i'll tell you all about them when we the the POnd Forum, woooooohoooooooooo, eh? This really is the last thing I ever thoguht i'd be doing right now this is not possibly more intresting then my homework, I mean it's the paris peace conference, man gotta get to it but not till I know about these fishies and what I Have to do with them because yknow what if they should be in the pond right now, "yeah but it is frozen"

Sure sure it is that's is right of course" *considers* "but I really think they can manage"

"oh yeah, really how?" The giant terrifyeing man challenges

I of course boldly step forth and as a litery and oral debate champion of texas declare "because sir giant terrifyeing man, these are no goldfish they are ice eating maniacs"

The man stumble from the verbal blow I so cleverly delivered and falls to his knees in penance, How many of you think i'm the biggest nerd in the world? actually second thought don't answer in real life I'm kinda cool, and the goldfish thusforth never wanting to go out into the pond before it was ready aka unfrozen...

:shifty: I think you all get the point

Well.... after that Id have to say vantqE has a point.....I think :bang1:

if they write like that over a suggestion then they must be serious about the subject. Even if it was some ramblings lol

go for it .

start a pond forum.

Whats the worst that can happen?

:ml:

• 1 month later...

Was at Big Als yesterday, they have a new pond setup and lots of liner. Speaking of liner, check the buy and sell I have some extra I am selling. BTW I noticed something interesting in the pumps for sale at Big Als. They are selling Cal Pumps among others and what I found interesting was the 2000 GPH model was $299.00 (same as one I just aquired) The 2500 GPH model had a price tag on it of $229.00. And the 3000 GPH was $399.00. Me thinks the 2500 GPH pump was mispriced. $329.00? AS well they had some juvy koi about 4-5 inches for $4.99 had some nice white ones in the bunch. My fish are still in tubs in the basement so I didn't buy any yet. -ham-

• 1 month later...