HBO filter, what inserts?

Fish Dude

I have an HBO filter, I was wondering what kind of inserts to use. Im pretty sure I need a sponge, but I have no idea what other ones to use. I dont even know how many different types there are. Help is much appreciated, Thanks

We need to know the brand and version of the filter.

Where did you get it?

How big is your tank?

I use a couple sponges in my HOB filters. I dont' bother with the brand name inserts. I use either Aquaclear sponges or a bulk sponge and cut it to fit. I can usually fit 2-3 sponges in the compartment, that way I can alternate cleaning them so I dont' loose the bacteria.

Or some people use the sponge/bio media combo. Fill the bottom of the compartment with bio media(bio rings, bio balls, pot scrubbers, etc.) and then put a sponge on top of that. This way, when you clean, you only clean the sponge and leave the bio media alone.

I also dont' use carbon unless I'm trying to remove a medication

Charcoal/carbon has a limited life before it actually starts leeching everything back into the water that you put it in there to remove. I don't remember exactly what the time frame is, but I believe it's somewhere around 6 weeks. I personally haven't used it in years; I use water changes to remove medications because I'm pretty sure I'd forget to remove the charcoal!

I go with a biomedia (not purchased at the LFS), like lava rock or pot scrubbies (uber cheap!). Often, that's all I'll use, but if I want mechanical filtration, I usually go with a piece of sponge cut from a bulk sponge, or floss (bought a huge bag at WM for $12).