Fry, what do I do?

shanejade

Hey all,

So we just have had our tank set up for about 3 weeks and my sons comes running to tell me theres little babies all over in one corner of the tank, how do I remove them from the tank? a net? I have no clue about fish let alone fry, could someone give me some info on what to do what size of tank to put them in basically everything

Tanks alot..... for the help

Shane & Jade

What type of fish are they?

Do you have another tank for them to go into? For my fry I usually transfer them to a barebottom 10g(ac mini filter and a 50w heater). Make sure you add a used filter sponge or a bag of used gravel for some Bio media, dont' want the fry dying because of an ammonia spike.

Fry can be fed any kind of flake or pellet, crushed into a powder. They should be fed small amounts a couple times a day. Water changes should be done as often as you can. I do 25% water changes every few days.

Good luck :)

What type of fish are they?

Do you have another tank for them to go into? For my fry I usually transfer them to a barebottom 10g(ac mini filter and a 50w heater). Make sure you add a used filter sponge or a bag of used gravel for some Bio media, dont' want the fry dying because of an ammonia spike.

Fry can be fed any kind of flake or pellet, crushed into a powder. They should be fed small amounts a couple times a day. Water changes should be done as often as you can. I do 25% water changes every few days.

Good luck :)

They are just (Red Jewels) But I have to get myself prepared because Im pretty sure my Frontosas and my Red Zebras are holding as well,

I did just get back from Big Als and (Damon) told us just to get (The baby-saver) the net thing that sits in the tank with them for now.

I will be setting up another tank this weekend hopefully just for the breeding stuff.

Shane

Congrats on the new babies!!!

I would use a net on brand new fry, but i am guilty of this, The reason I say this is because they are so delicate, and the can get injured when the netting fold or when you are trying to get them out the stick and get stuck in the creases. When I use a net i flip it inside out so the seem is on the out side and I use a very fine soft net that is small. Then I let the swim out of the net with a few soft shakes, because if you try to pull the net apart to remove the fry you may end up squishing them. If they are not hard to get at you can use a deep tuber ware or a glass and let they swim in there. What ever works for you. My tacktics vary depending on how delicate and big they are.

to get fry out of the tank i have always used a turkey baster make sure you get a clear one so you can see the fish in it and if possible get a clear rubber part(the part you squeeze) so you can make sure you dont squish the fry in case they get pulled all the way to the top (i dont have a clear rubber part and it is hard to make sure they dont get stuck

My jewels just had babies and i used the turkey baster to try and save as many as i could by putting them into a in tank baby net. The next day the ones i managed to suck up were dead. Personally i'm not sure what went wrong but i suspect that since there were sooooo many babies this time that the mom had to spit sooner so they were smaller and allot more delicate so the trauma from the baster killed them. If you can I'd personally not fool around with removal but try and find a way to separate the jewels from the other fish within the main tank I was thinking a divider or piece of glass or plexiglass with small spaces around the edges too small for any fish to pass through. My jewels are growing rapidly without me feeding them anything. I've noticed the parents will eat their fill and take the last bit chew it then spit it out and the babies swarm the food. With lots of cover and a very large tank i'm sure that some will naturally survive without any fuss. Hope this might help

Good luck

L

Personally i'm not sure what went wrong but i suspect that since there were sooooo many babies this time that the mom had to spit sooner so they were smaller and allot more delicate so the trauma from the baster killed them.

Jewel cichlids are egg layers. So the mom doesn't spit them like she would if she was a mouthbrooder.

I'm not a fan of the turkey baster, I prefer sucking the fry out with the gravel vac tubing. Its easier and faster to suck them out and there is less rick of hurting them.

We always sucked ours out into a breeder net over a bucket using a length of hose. If you are going to use those netted breeder traps make sure that you double-bag the net. The adults can suck some of the babies (or parts of them) straight through a single net and you probably do not want the kids seeing that. Made me upset so I am sure it would probably traumatize children as well.

The parents should be protecting the fry to some extent, they are cichlids after all. You may wish to consider some baby fish food if you are planning to save and raise the fry. Powedered flake or frozen baby brine shrimp may be enough but nothng is better than live baby brine shrimp if you want lots of fry. Also, if you plan on netting them, a fine mesh net with the stitching to the outside when you catch them is ok. If they are really small drop a baby saver or whatever under the fry and herd them in. Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a fishaholic. Let us know how the fry progress.

Cheers :beer:

Edited by Burbot

Personally i'm not sure what went wrong but i suspect that since there were sooooo many babies this time that the mom had to spit sooner so they were smaller and allot more delicate so the trauma from the baster killed them.

Jewel cichlids are egg layers. So the mom doesn't spit them like she would if she was a mouthbrooder.

I'm not a fan of the turkey baster, I prefer sucking the fry out with the gravel vac tubing. Its easier and faster to suck them out and there is less rick of hurting them.

heeheeheeheeheeheehee that kind of sounds BAD heheeheeheehe :banned: sorry just struck my funny bone

Edited by Tracked maniac