Loach to eat snails?

Golfnut

Hi all,

I have some snails that I want to get rid of.

I have clown loaches in another tank and they do a good job of getting rid of snails.

I have yoyo loaches in another and they dont' seem that interested in snails.

Anyone know of some other small loaches/fish that will eat snails?

I just need a couple for a community tank...

Thanks,

Andrew

I was under the impression that all loaches ate snails.. Hmm, I have cichlids and loaches but no snails hubby has goldfish and snails but the goldfish love the snails... pretty darn good an keeping his population down. Looking at your sig I would say you wouldn't want some larger comets in there!

Umm had some pea puffers at one time who chowed down on snails..

Website snipet below: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/snailsan...illingsnals.htm

Controlling Snails

Even though the snail has the advantage of reproducing quickly, and is able to easily hide, you can still win this battle. All you have to do is use your superior brainpower. Snails can be lured out by simply clipping a lettuce leaf to the glass before you go to bed. In the morning there will be a whole family of snails feasting on the lettuce, which you will scoop out of the tank and dispose of. You won't eliminate every snail that way, but you can keep their numbers under control.

Another option is to put snail-eating fish in your tank. Any respectable Clown or Yo-Yo loach would give their right fin for a snail dinner. They will sift through the gravel, sucking any snail they find right out of its shell. Loaches will even dive under the substrate in their snail hunting quest. Labyrinth fish, such as Bettas and Gouramis, will also eat snails. However, they are not as adept at tracking them down in their home under the gravel.

Lastly, remember the equation, less food = less snails. Reduce the amount of food your fish are given, and there will not be as much leftover for the snails.

I have zebra loaches in my planted tank and just love them. They stay small(3-4") and are very peaceful. They did a great job at getting rid of my snails. They don't seem to eat Malaysian trumpet snails as mine are still all over the gravel, but did a great job at eating the ramshorn and pond snails.

My mbuna and CA cichlids seem to love to eat snails too if they can. You can hear my oscar crunch on them whenever I give him some as a treat lmao. I don't know of many types of loaches that will eat snails other than clown loaches. Oh and dwarf puffers also eat snails :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have some snails in my planted tank. As long as there small my rams seem to like them. But since there mouths are small, the snails have to stay small. If i find any bigger ones i throw them in the big tank with the clown loaches.