is aluminum mesh safe for aquarium use?

fleshgear

i have some small grass like plants that i am trying to hold down. so i put the grass in between two layers of aluminum mesh for screen doors. i was wondering if this is safe? i have read that stainless steel mesh is ok but i just wasn't sure about aluminum. i know that aluminum does not rust.

Thanks

Or another thing that works well is the plastic grid used for crossstich or needle point. It can be found at any craft store.

I agree! You can get a variety of different hole sizes depending on the level of crosstitch. For example, the ones you get in the kids kits would be great for moss walls! By far the safer choice! Hmm... What a great idea Valerie!!

i have some small grass like plants that i am trying to hold down. so i put the grass in between two layers of aluminum mesh for screen doors. i was wondering if this is safe? i have read that stainless steel mesh is ok but i just wasn't sure about aluminum. i know that aluminum does not rust.

Thanks

Don't. Aluminum can cause Alzheimer in fish :rolleyes:

It should be fairly safe according to the material data safety sheet - http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Aluminum_oxide-9922858

Aluminum does rust/oxide. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_aluminum_not_rust

Aluminum will release certain chemicals in to food or water due to oxydation if you cook with it, I would be cautious on this one as the release may be toxic to your fish.

I also would try to stay away from using anything metal in my tank. All metals do and will rust over a period of time, even stainless steel, it just takes it longer to go through the oxidizing process. I agree that the cross stitch sheets would be really good to use for this.