Bare bottom tanks

I was wondering what the fishkeepers out there thought of foregoing the substrate and just having a glass bottom. I am considering trying it on one tank to see if it helps with the maintenance, mostly being more easily able to suction out the waste. Aesthetics aside, for those of you who have tried it or still do it, what has been your experience? Does fish behaviour change or suffer? Anything else I should think of? Thanks.

I find it works better for fry and grow out tanks to keep them clean. I have not found any issues with this unless you are trying to breed certain fish.

I like BB :smokey:

OH in the tank...... :smokey:

I use it for fry and when they are a few months old I use a skiff of sand barely covering the bottom. Bottom dwellers like the cover and it is easy to clean with the vacuum.

My apisto fry would always be on top of the bit of sand on one side of the tank, now they are all over.

Discus breeders like to paint the bottom (on the outside) with a sandy color as they may not like the reflection.

J

Tried it once, would never do it again unless a grow-out or hospital tank. Need to paint bottom to prevent the disorientating effect the reflection has on fish. Also, you really miss out on a lot of digging and landscaping activities.

Totally agreed!! I like my tanks planted with lots of cover. My fish "feel at home" and settled. Happy fish live longer and are easier to breed. I went over to one aquarist who had imported in some costly livebearers who weren't eating. They were in a totally bare tank and scared out of their minds!! When in doubt, do what Mother Nature would do!!

• 12 years later...