Lesser duckweed .... should i get rid of it?

Erin

a while back Jerry gave me sone endlers... I haven't added anything other then some fish since... and well the plant he sent with them didn't stay more then 10 seconds in my tank and NOW I have Lesser duckweed..... should I leave it or will be become a problem. they are growing like mad... the first week I saw about three now I think there is more then 20 in there. ( pokes Jerry ) I personally think they are cute. I'm thinking of adding some into my 10 gal.

Thanks Jerry :P And thanks to anyone who replies!

Erin

Duckweed can become a pest VERY quickly and is easily spread around to other tanks if you arne't careful.

I personally dont' mind it. I let it grow on top of my shrimp tank. Its great at sucking up the nitrates and I take a scoopful out each week to feed my africans.

So depending on the tank you can leave it in or not. Be aware that if its a planted tank the duckweed can quickly cover the surface and block out the light to other plants.

I'll keep that in mind.. I do have a planted tank... but I'm thinking that if I allow it to "play" with my Cabomba, which its doing right now... my Cabomba loves to grow to the top of my tank and the duckweed sits along it and chills with the Cabomba. I like the fact that they take out nitrates... might be why I haven't had ANY if forever and trust me my tank is past full when it comes to fish. LOL Thanks Val.

Erin

The only way I've found to get rid of it is to either completely dran out the tank and let it dry for a few days, or to put something bigger in that'll choke it out, like Giant duckweed or Salvinia.

It's good in betta jars too and I like it for my livebearer fry tanks. Also use it for my lowlight tanks. If I have too much, I just scoop it out.

Shucks, that's too bad duckweed is such I pest. I saw some in one of the tanks at Nature's Corner Store a while ago and thought it was cute (if you can really describe plants as cute), but didn't know what it was. I worried it would limit the light getting to my plants below though.

Duckweed doesn't get it's CO2 or carbon from the water, since it's leaves are above water it takes in CO2 from the air. Excel can have a different effect on many different plants. I have giant duckweed in some of my tanks, but I scoop some out when it gets to be too much. When I get my turtle I would love to get extra duckweed since they eat the stuff :)

Well I added some to both of my betta tanks, They seems to like it, not to eat but to play around with. Frasier took his in his mouth and pulled it around, let it go and did it again. But then again hes always been a bit of a clown! I might try excel... what is it? how much is it? where can I find some? how do I use it?

Well I added some to both of my betta tanks, They seems to like it, not to eat but to play around with. Frasier took his in his mouth and pulled it around, let it go and did it again. But then again hes always been a bit of a clown! I might try excel... what is it? how much is it? where can I find some? how do I use it?

What is it... a substitute for CO2, basically liquidized carbon for the plants.

How much depends on your bottle size.

Where, is basically any aqua store.

And how to use it, read the bottle :)