What is going on???

Drydock

I have had my tank up and running since August... seeded it with filter and gravel from my existing tank, didn't overstock. I have lost 4 fish in 2-3 days and I have no idea why.

Ammonia (NH3 NH4) 0.25 ppm

pH 7.0

I am injecting pressurized CO2 and using Estimative Index for fertilizing plants. Water changes are every weekend - 50%

Filter is a sump with bio balls and pot scrubbies

I am feeding NLS and frozen mysis as a treat a couple times a week.

Fish don't appear to look sick until they end up dead. i spend a good 5-10 minutes a day looking at everything in there to see if something is up. I just got glasses, so it shouldn't be my eyesight, though you never know...

So far, I've lost

Female Kribensis

Red Line Torpedo Barb (Denosi)

German Blue Ram

Red Laser Cory

It's basically a community tank. Tetras, rainbows, the rams and barbs...

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm baffled right now.

Is there too much CO2? I have no clue on that one, just asking a possibility.

The thing I suspect is that if you are getting anything above 0 on the NO2 and ammonia that there is an issue there for a cycled tank will read 0. You may want to test levels at different times of the day too as they may spike at night and not as noticeable during the day . Any possibility of a corpse or dying foliage somewhere hidden that may be throwing your levels?

How deep is your substrate? How many plants? etc.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone on here who has not gone through something like this and esp. me included.

Edited by Qattarra

Yeah unfortunately looks like a mini cycle has started for some reason; keep testing and do a lot of WC

Adding additional prime will help, look on the bottle for directions in emergency dosage.

You are not alone in this: happens to all.

John

When was the last time you cleaned out your filter?

I am only grasping here... if you have more then one filter when was the last time each of them was cleaned out...

Maybe it is some kind of internal parasite???

Sorry for your losses and wish I could be of more assistance.

Roger, there is no way you should have any Ammonia - in your tank it should be LESS THAN 0! So, for some reason, something is producing it faster than your plants & filter can keep up.

Have you removed a lot of plants this week - a monster trimming? But, then you'd need to be doing some serious overfeeding. Even having those 4 fish laying in your tank dead shouldn't cause much of a change, tho. Just so everyone else knows, it's a 230, fairly heavily planted tank...

OK, here are some more answers to your questions all at once. No time to go and answer them one by one.

Filter - Filter Sock (Mechanical)gets changed every 2 days. Biomedia hasn't really been touched since I set the tank up...

CO2 - less than 20 ppm. Edmonton water out of the tap is 7.8. I am only lowering it down to 7.0. Shouldn't affect the fish.

New Fish - Added 3 Flasher Barbs in 2nd or 3rd week of December.

Dead fish - I never did find the kribensis. I just haven't seen her in 3-4 days. The other ones I got out, only after they were floating... and stinky.

Overfeeding - Who doesn't. If you ask the fish, I don't feed enough. (Who do you believe eh?)

Ammonia - I am using the API test kit with the two reagents. Since the test kit measures Ammonia AND Nitrate AND Nitrite, what affect does using EI have on that type of kit?

No monster trimming. I did take some plants out on Saturday, but I would say it was less than 1/8 of my bio mass. Not a MONSTER cleaning up - pruned the lily, hygro and about half of the 'mystery plant' that was floating. Fish losses were on both sides of that activity...

Your female krib may or may not be dead. I thought one of my male firemouths was dead b/c I hadn't seen him in almost a week... he's almost 4", and my tank is only 135.

EI will raise your NitrAte reading only.

Not sure what could have caused it, except maybe the new(d) Flashers :P

I suggest not feeding for a few days or until things are back under control. I also would stop all additions of ferts CO2 etc. Doing a 50% WC, checking for dead things and just keep an eye on things for a few days. After that start things up one at a time with close observations for any changes. This should be enough for your bio filter to catch up (fingers crossed).

No feeding is a good idea, but I'm not sure about CO2 and ferts. Keeping the plants growing is going to keep you from getting an algae bloom. If you do end up stopping CO2 and ferts, cut your light way back, too.

Your female krib may or may not be dead. I thought one of my male firemouths was dead b/c I hadn't seen him in almost a week... he's almost 4", and my tank is only 135.

EI will raise your NitrAte reading only.

Not sure what could have caused it, except maybe the new(d) Flashers :P

ah ha ha ha

ha

you hilarious!

So can you measure nitrate and ammonia separately with a retail test kit?