Big fish eat little fish

rickc

Well so far I have am learning from inexperience. I picked up a killer looking pitcus to go into my guppy tank. Due to my lack of research I am now running out of guppies. I am wondering if Blue rams or something like angel fish would get along well in a 39G tank with this pictus.

Also should i look at getting a second pictus to keep him company or will other fish of his size be fine?

I always believe that if a fish in your tank is small enough to fit in another's mouth, chances are it'll get eaten!

I keep reading not to put bettas with neons... because the neons nip the bettas pretty fins? nope... my betta ate all my neons!

I agree with Qattarra... better to give him his own pals at his level in the tank. See where they like to be the most then look for fish to fill the other levels. Rainbows, Gouramis, Barbs are good... or, as mentioned, Cichlids are excellent tank mates... plecos and other cats too.

Let us know what you decide! :)

well I been doing this for years and well pictus cats are normally very peaceful but most any cat fish will eat whatever they can fit in there mouth and the pictus cats long wiskers bug most other fish i would have two or more of them if you can and dwarf blue are normally great in any tanks of peacful fish but males will fight each other and angels well are more aggresive then the rams by far i find.if you going to have angels in a comunity tanks should have 6 or more of them so they fight between each other more you still might loose the odd neon lol or they might nip others but they are a slow fish to most.and becarful what type Gouramis you get because some get very big and they can be a bit aggresive to and barbs as well they are fin nippers to and should have 6 or more of them aswell so they fight amoungest themselfs more.most rainbows get very big to.and what kind of fish do you have in there right now.if just guppys daniols are a great fish and hardy and active sorry on spelling lol,swords,platies,mollies,tetras,all cory cats,plecos,most chiclids will have your guppys and other fish for dinner they are very aggresive fish except the rams chiclids should be only chiclids and there are 3 levels to there aggresiveness aswell the yo-yo loach is great to go with chiclids and other fish aswell,almost all cleaner fish are good but watch which type you get because some get very big and will eat what they can fit in there mouth.if you what to know about some types of fish you can talk to me on msn messanger or email me at darcybrasco@hotmail.com

wow thank you everyone for the info.

I was thinking of getting second pictus to keep the first company. I would like to populate the tank with something that will have a bit of size to it and have some color so that my little girl has something to look at as well. (perhaps not the best reason but a good enough one for me). I am wondering if raising feeder fish (assuming my guppies are not going to stay in my main tank and i will buy another to raise feeder them in it) is considered a bad idea.

I am located out in lloydminster so I am wondering if anyone knows a good location to pickup live food for my fish

If my tank is 39G and had 2 pictus in it how many angel fish would be considered the right amount to not be overstocked?

I'm not sure if you considered it but if you want really colourful fish for your relatively small tank tha have some size to them then personally i'd get some Malawi Mbuna. Most don't get bigger than four inches and they have the brightest colours. (electric yellows are a prime example) The key is even the Females have bright colours so you can even have breeding going on for more fun. They are very agressive so overstocking the tank is almost a must to keep things fairly calm.

I wish i knew more about the gentler fish everyone else is talking about but i kinda skipped that phaze and went straight to Chichlids.

Good luck

L

Careful with those feeders... they can be full of parasites :(

Ya I noticed that they look pretty thin.

I think i might look into getting some torpedo barbs. Anyone know if they are easy to find in Edmonton?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_line_torpedo_barb

I've seen them at bigals in the display tanks. always thought they were some sort of flying fox.

Careful with those feeders... they can be full of parasites :(

Ya I noticed that they look pretty thin.

I think i might look into getting some torpedo barbs. Anyone know if they are easy to find in Edmonton?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_line_torpedo_barb

Nature's Corner almost always has RLT Barbs... I believe Henry labels them as Denisoni Barbs (after their Latin name).

Angels work quite well with pictus's. I used to have my pictus with angels, rainbows, a kribensis, blue acara, and BGK. The only reason I got rid of mine is because he always uprooted all my plants. Pictus are also nocturnal, and that is why small fish don't work well with them, because at night the fish rest while they are out and about. Try to choose larger fish, that aren't bottom dwellers. I think angels make really great companions because of this. In a 39 gallon tank, I would suggest trying just one angel out, and getting a group of schooling fish like rainbows.

Roseline sharks aka, Denisoni barbs, torpedo barbs, will grow too large for an aquarium that size IMO. They like to be in schools of 6 or more, and as they can get up to 6" each, a larger tank may be more suitable. Also you will be paying at least $25 or more for each RLS. There is actually a conservation project going on right now to preserve these guys in their natural habitat. They are considered endangered in their natural habitat. Hopefully we will start to see more of these guys being bred in the aquarium to help save them in the wild.

Angels work quite well with pictus's. I used to have my pictus with angels, rainbows, a kribensis, blue acara, and BGK. The only reason I got rid of mine is because he always uprooted all my plants. Pictus are also nocturnal, and that is why small fish don't work well with them, because at night the fish rest while they are out and about. Try to choose larger fish, that aren't bottom dwellers. I think angels make really great companions because of this. In a 39 gallon tank, I would suggest trying just one angel out, and getting a group of schooling fish like rainbows.

Roseline sharks aka, Denisoni barbs, torpedo barbs, will grow too large for an aquarium that size IMO. They like to be in schools of 6 or more, and as they can get up to 6" each, a larger tank may be more suitable. Also you will be paying at least $25 or more for each RLS. There is actually a conservation project going on right now to preserve these guys in their natural habitat. They are considered endangered in their natural habitat. Hopefully we will start to see more of these guys being bred in the aquarium to help save them in the wild.

Perfect thank you for the info. Everyone is so helpful, i don't know enough yet but i have decided to get a second pictus (the original tank mate to my first one) and i will get 1 angle and i will see what rainbows are worth around here.

My wife picked up an angle fish for our tank today. ran into an issue though when she was removing it from the bag from the fish store he got injured from the net. he got caught between the net and the wall of the tank. looks like he has some bleeding into his right side gills. not a lot but enough to make them red in color though his cheek.

is there anything i can do to help him heal or is going to die on me?