More solid aquarium stands?

iralbuqu

Can someone advice where I can buy a more solid aquarium stand? I plan on running a 46 gallon tank, are the ones in the regular pet store goo denough, they seem a little flimsy for me given the weight they will need to carry. Any advice will be apreciated.

NoooB

I'm using the stingray at bigals for my 90 gallon tank. It's amazing that this particle board is able to hold the weight. It does so without issues and hasn't warped with water spilled on it. I believe the stingray to be the cheapest model they sell for the 90 gallon.

IME it's pretty hard to find stands that are much more well built than the regular stuff they sell at pet stores, until of coarse you get one custom built.

I think generally the cheap store bought stands are OK. They will hold your tank. I do highly question the longevity of them however. I use a cheap Aquagiant stand for my 55 and another store bought particle board POS for my 33. The 33 has been on that stand for about 5 years with no issue, seeing it's fair share of water spills too. But I'm waiting for the day that it comes crashing down.

That being said, do yourself a favor and find one that you need to assemble yourself, and use some carpenters glue on all the joints, this will make it stronger by 10 fold. If you still are worried about it, a few well placed 2x4's screwed in place will help garner further strength.

Take into account the environment it will be in as well. For me, with 2 kids and 2 90 lb dogs, a flimsy stand is not an option, so I custom built mine for my 180.

You should be fine with a store bought stand. I think most of the manufacturers won't warranty the tank thats on them, so consider that. Theres probably good reason they don't.

Boom :boom:

I think most of the manufacturers won't warranty the tank thats on them, so consider that.

Actually, it's the other way around. Typically most manufacturers will only honor a tanks warranty if the tank is on one of their stands. I prefer custom built for both the extra strength & longevity as well as the overall aesthetics, but the brand name stands will hold up for many years as well if they are taken care of.

I think most of the manufacturers won't warranty the tank thats on them, so consider that.

Actually, it's the other way around. Typically most manufacturers will only honor a tanks warranty if the tank is on one of their stands.

Your right. And I did know that. Duh! I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. My bad.

Boom :boom:

• 3 weeks later...

For my 20 gallon which is my baby, I bought a 20 to 29 gallon metal stand. I thought, yah right ... when I first put it together. But all in all its a great stand and only cost me $69.99. They don't have any that are bigger But on the plus side I can upgrade my tank by 9 gallons if I ever wanted to. I think that most petstore stand are ok since they are made with the tank weight in mind. But if your a handy person making your own is always nice too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure they have engineers that approve the design of the stands before they sell them You might be stunned to hear that i have my 40 gallon tank sitting on six one by twos. The structure isn't sturdy movement wise but the weight is held up very easily. My thirty gallon is on a stand with eight one by ones screwed into a one by one frame(that the tank sits on and the bottom shelf is in another 1 by 1 frame) with a plywood back and sides for stability. It sat on that for ages and it came second hand from someone who used it for years. If you are worried get some extra wood and glue it and screw it for stability. Allthough i'd be suprised if anything ever happened to it if it was purpose built since lawsuits are now the thing to do apparently and an insurance company will go after somone like them for damages if it's their falt. And usually win.

Don't worry so much wood is stronger than you might think.

L