Your FAVORITE Small Tank Fish

Boom

Tell me what your favorite fish for a small tank is. I want to know what you like to keep in a 10 or 20 gallon tank, and why. What is the most colorful? most active? most interesting behaviour? easiest to keep? most unusual?

Some people like guppies, mollies or platys (I don't particularly), some people would rather keep a single Betta, maybe a small school of tetras, others are after more exotic stuff. I'd liketo know what you like best that can be PERMANENTLY kept in a smallish tank is, and why.

I'll start. So far, I'm pretty fond of Cardinal tetra's and Rummy-nose tetra's.

Boom :boom:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tended to keep small-tank fish in big tanks in big groups... I once had 75 Cardinals in a 55 gal - what a site!! I love cories in groups over 10!

I'm thinking that aside from my shrimp tanks, I'll be keeping Lamp. brevis in a 10 gal when I get all the fish moved.

I had cardinals once and though they are very nice I found them to be very boring , all they did in my 20 gallon was hang around the bottom never forming a school and swim around the tank. Plus I found they to be a very delicate tetra and eventually lost them all.

Right now I keep lemon tetras, long fin serpae tertas, congo tetras, black phantom tetras, red/blue columbian tetras all of which except the congos and cloumbians are good for a 10 gallon (congo's are my favorite but get too big for a 10 as do the columbians). Some people have problems with serpae's nipping fins but if you keep 6 or more you should be fine. I also keep long fin white cloud mountain minnows which are nice and cherry barbs are great as well, they are very peaceful and the males have an amazing red color. Don't be fooled by the look of cherry barbs in the pet store where they look really bland, because they really color up when you get them home. Hope this helps. here are a few pics I found on the internet

post-3409-1235625374_thumb.jpg

post-3409-1235625385_thumb.jpg

post-3409-1235625393_thumb.jpg

post-3409-1235625402_thumb.jpg

post-3409-1235625461_thumb.jpg

see I'm different from you guys... I have two gouramis in a 14 gallon. a yellow and a blue. But IMO the dwarf honey gouramis are by far my favorite, I've got two in a 20 gallon and love watching them, and if your lucky like me and get a male and female the colors are amazing and I found no aggression at all with the little guys. My male is a light yellow that deepens to a bright orange and a neat green strip under his belly. My female isn't as colorful but shes yellow with a green strip threw the middle of her body. has orange on her top find and on the bottom. They do a mating dance daily but nothing is coming from it :(

They are great little cleaners too! I find that they are always eating at the algae, nipping here and there always moving.

Schoolers, tight schoolers, like Boraras Maculatus are great.

I never had them but i fell in love with them when i saw them at Natures.

they're great, they stay together and are very playful...and they're beautiful...the bigger the group the better; and when you max out at .75 of an inch... you can fit alot of them comfortably.

My favorite small fish is definitely the Green Eye Rasbora (Rasbora dorsiocellata). A school of 10 - 15 can easily go in a 10G, but they prefer something a bit longer. They stay small and with the right lighting, there bodies shine almost jade green. They have a glowing , bright green eye...(lol, hence the name), and school nicely. They are very peaceful and are best in a planted species tank with some Dwarf Cories.

These Rasboras are harder to find than any other Rasbora (in Calgary at least). I sold mine off after not being able to buy more after 2 yrs of local hunting. Sure miss them though. I raised my WC Angel with them and he never ate one of them. I wouldn't put them with large Angels though.

Tammy