I hate stem plants

Shai

For a long time I've been looking for a plant that I am able to grow well which will help fill up some of the empty vertical space of the tank (ie, background).

Amazon swords are not my thing (no matter what, I just can't seem to grow them). At the moment I have some Bacopa monnieri which grows to a nice height but each stem is really skinny. I also have Limnophila sessiflora and Hygrophila polysperma but I don't like how they grow out of control. Stem plants also sprout all kinds of roots along the stem and I hate that--it looks ugly.

I have medium-low light (around 2wpg), currently dose Excel and use EI to fert. I don't necessarily want a background plant that is going to obscure the back of the tank, I just want something that will help break up the vertical space.

I've been thinking about something along the lines of, I dunno, some kind of giant anubias or a variety of lily or something--a plant that will grow well in my light and not take over the tank, that maybe has larger leaves reaching into the top half of the tank. I'm really good at growing crypts, anubias, java fern (Windelov's), and I have a Bolbitis heudelotii (African Water Fern) that is also doing pretty well, but all of these stay in the lower half.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Try crypt "balansae". It gets tall and likes to grow in groups. Personally I don't hate stem plants. I hate the pleco who keeps digging up all my rooted plants!!!

Vallisneria is a good background plant

I second that..Vals are pretty easy to grow...and they will reach the surface of the tank depending on the species and the tank conditions. With CO2 and good lighting, they have taken over my tank...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've had Vals before too but they melt from the Excel.

I'll keep the "balansae" crypt in mind. I already have a LOT of other crypts so if I can get something a bit different that would be great too.

I just want something that will help break up the vertical space.

What about Hydrocotyle leucocephala? Yes, it's a stem plant, and it does have lots of roots, but its horizontal stepped leaves are a nice contrast to other more vertical plants.

Hydrocotyle_leucocephala.jpg

I can hook you up with some if you want...

I think Crypt balansae or spiralis are right up your ally. With propper feeding, they have a nice red 'stem' and dark green leaves.

Another suggestion that may be a little different from the norm is Crypt Usteriana, sometimes also call Crypt aponogetfolia. It needs an established tank with a reasonable amount of light. Has some similarities to balanase already recommended, but looks far more impressive for a background plant that can really fill a void.

Rudy

What about Hydrocotyle leucocephala?

Thanks for the offer! I once had another variety of Hydrocotyle but couldn't get it to grow. I think it was Hydrocotyle verticillata though, which needs strong lights and soft water, neither of which are available in my tank. : ) I'd be concerned about how much the roots grow along the stems of H. leucocephala though, like in this picture. Do you find yours get pretty bad? I don't mind some amount of roots (the bacopa sends out some) but too many is a turn off. Still could be worth trying though.

Is it ok to cut away the roots that are along the stems? I know what you mean when you say it looks terrible. I am battling that right now.

I always did. I usually broke them off with my thumbnail or used a pair of scissors. It just got to be too much.

What about Nymphaea micrantha? It's a lily that is supposed to be easy to care for and only needs medium light (though I also came across a few sources that said high light). The leaves are speckled with green and brown.

Anubias barteri seems like it might be a good choice too.

What about Hydrocotyle leucocephala?

Thanks for the offer! I once had another variety of Hydrocotyle but couldn't get it to grow. I think it was Hydrocotyle verticillata though, which needs strong lights and soft water, neither of which are available in my tank. : ) I'd be concerned about how much the roots grow along the stems of H. leucocephala though, like in this picture. Do you find yours get pretty bad? I don't mind some amount of roots (the bacopa sends out some) but too many is a turn off. Still could be worth trying though.

I don't mind the roots in H. leucocephala since they're an inherent "design feature" of the plant. Other stem plants that send out scraggly roots get them plucked off. I find that if I keep mine planted along the back wall, the leaves tend to tip forward a bit towards the light, hiding the roots.

Are you adding any ferts? I find that stem plants send out more/larger roots when they need more nutrients.

how about Philippine java fern the leaves are longer than regular java ferns they seem to grow just as good as regular java fern and widleov. also onion plants, i am not sure if there leaves will melt or not. i does with excell some times and have never had a problem with the onion plant.

I have Hydrocotyle leucocephala, I had an idea about putting them on their side, this idea came to me when I saw its extra roots, they seem to grow out just under each leaf. I haven't tried it yet but maybe sunday I'll see if I can't get it to work and take some photos. I'll let yah know. I think that if it work it could make a interesting foreground plant.

I have Hydrocotyle leucocephala, I had an idea about putting them on their side, this idea came to me when I saw its extra roots, they seem to grow out just under each leaf. I haven't tried it yet but maybe sunday I'll see if I can't get it to work and take some photos. I'll let yah know. I think that if it work it could make a interesting foreground plant.

H. leucocephala won't grow as a foreground plant; try H. verticillata instead. It has smaller, but similarly shaped leaves and will trail along the substrate instead of heading for the surface.