substrate

MTAR

Light or dark substrate??  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys I'm in the process setting another tank, 70 gallon :thumbs:. I'm deciding what substrate do go with, a really light one(white) or a dark one (black). The fish that will be going in there hopefully are some yellows, flametails, and maybe some cobue someday (hint hint fishmanTy feed them the blue pills!!! :wub: ). The trick here is I'm on a budget for right now. So I'm looking for some cheaper options at the moment. so does anyone have any pointers????

Thanks, Eric

The only sand I've found anywhere for cheap is light sand, pool filter sand is about the cheapest I've found. If you can find black sand for cheap, let us all know, I know that I'm interested in it but can't justify the $20 for 10 lbs or whatever it is. I called just about every place in the Calgary phonebook looking for it, and all they have is the coal/iron slag stuff (nothing I want my sandsifters sifting through their gills!).

Try Big Al's

I just bought some

black snd and mixed it with

reg silica sand (sand blasting stuff ) (70/30)

and it looks great everybody complaments on it

black snd was 29.99 for 20lbs

silica was 3.99 for 20 lbs

and if your a menber of the fish club

you save 10%

gio

Hey African_Fever,

The only sand I've found anywhere for cheap is light sand, pool filter sand is about the cheapest I've found.

Could you help a guy out and save him an hour on the phone... Where did you find it and how much was it? I wanna change over my 90 gallon tank when I move here in 2 weeks. Im looking for the uniform grain natural stuff... I'm pretty sure its PFS.

Just checked RONA - Nada

Edited by thefishdude

I voted dark but that's just cause I recently set up my 90 with Tahitian Moon sand, I LOVE that sand!! :wub: I never would have bought it though if it hadn't been so cheap at Big Al's on Boxing Day. I also have black rocks and a black background. I really want the fish to stand out!

I voted dark but that's just cause I recently set up my 90 with Tahitian Moon sand, I LOVE that sand!! :wub: I never would have bought it though if it hadn't been so cheap at Big Al's on Boxing Day. I also have black rocks and a black background. I really want the fish to stand out!

do you have any pics????

thanks, Eric

I picked my PFS up straight from Target, but the receptionist said they're usually supposed to sell in larger quantities (at least 10 bags at a time). You could give them a try if there's a couple people maybe looking for some sand, or they could at least point you to whomever sells it in town.

I've never seen Tahitian Moon any cheaper than $29.99/20lb bag.

I just got lucky on Boxing Day when it was 35 or 40% off... can't remember which.

I bought 3 bags for my 90. I will post pics when I have the new canopy on with the right lights and the fish finally in!! :rolleyes:

Sil Silica here in Edmonton sells Emerald Creek garnet in a couple of grades for $35/ 100lbs. It is inert and so can be used for soft water tanks without concern over leaching. The color could be better described by any woman, as their color vocabulary is far more extensive the mine, (what can I say I'm only a man!) but I would describe it as somewhere between red and purple. This doesn't sound too natural but it looks fine in my tank.

Either light or dark works. Mostly has to do with contrast to backgroung in display. If you use greens, greys and light browns, then go with a lighter gravel. If your background is dark grey, blues, greens, or browns then use a dark foreground sand. Black is nice.

Purchase the sand at a Sandblasting wholesaler or distributor. My last bags of silica sand 40 kg came in at 7.00/bag. The more expensive sands like oxites are about 14.00/ 40 kg. There is also a red granite sand 40/60 grit (2-3mm) that is nice.

Cheers,

Garhan

• 1 month later...

I voted for dark or black for one simple reason. Algae growth.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/displaytank.php?tank=7783

if you have a look at my tank you see that white really reflect the light.

Light speeds up the algae growth. its not just the light as it takes nitrates, and higher temps that help the algae growth as well.

I'm no expert on this but i used to have a tank with community fish including angels and tetras with black gravel, with out any issues.

This white tank i have grows algae like crazy! i have to clean the glass and gravel about every 4-5 days.

just my opinion!

Good luck with your decision!

nevchewy