fish and candles

Pop Eye

Hello, I was thinking about having fish as center pieces for my wedding.. Either beta's or golfish . Or something.

Just wondering if you think that floating candle would be ok? Is the wax on top of the water safe for them?

Gina

Hello, I was thinking about having fish as center pieces for my wedding.. Either beta's or golfish . Or something.

Just wondering if you think that floating candle would be ok? Is the wax on top of the water safe for them?

Gina

I imported hundreds of Bettas 5 yrs ago and used many of them in glass vases at my wedding...but didn't venture into the candles...They make great gifts for your guests though...for those of them that wanted them...there was some disappointment though for some people 'cause there weren't enough! In the middle of the vases I used those Bamboo sticks you see everywhere that are growing in viles. Might be a safer alternative to the candles in case some wax/perfumes seep into the water?

I would like to say that not all people are as enthusiastic about fish as some people are. Some of those bettas may get abused, or neglected while on the table. And what is going to happen to them once they go home with the guest. Are you prepared to have a lot of extra fish in your place too?

I would possibly rethink the idea.

I went with a 2x10 board cut into squares and covered with a black satin and pink ribbon, then a 6" rose bowl filled 1/3 with black gravel, a tea light and decorative holder surronded by fake pink roses. we also put a few tea lights around the center piece. We had 45 center pieces to do. Each one only cost about $8. Ebay!!!! Gotta love it.

I can email a pic if you want.

Derek

Personally depending on the people at your wedding i wouldn't worry about the fish being abused. OR not having enough people to want to take them home. I'd suggest a price for those who want to take them to make sure they really will take care of them and it'll help with the wedding costs. For candles i would honestly avoid putting them in the water because you never know what can happen and if someone knocks the table and the water sloshes some HOT wax in OUCH. I'd go with watever you want to set the betta into and two or four tealighs in holders around the betta bowl. Congratulations on the wedding

L

Really nice thought.. but... after a few drinks it might be dare time to eat a Betta! Or see how he likes beer! Because he should have some too! lets not forget Walmart's original idea of not needing to feed them, it'll be fine and live naturally. Maybe make sure they each get a care card and assign some nice little kids to watch over them.

Its a neat idea but all the weddings i've been to that tried fish had it turn out badly. Most ended up dying/dead or being poked at by the people(kids) at the tables. There is nothing romantic having to sit at a table where the betta is floating dead for the rest of the night. Plus then you have to deal with having dozens of bettas at the end. If you give them away as gifts, you have to worry about the people taking care of them properly. I bet 99% of those given away will be dead shortly after.

If you really want to do fish, I'd suggest only a few larger bowls on the head table, guest book etc, not at everyone's table.

It might be fine if you make sure the betta's are healthy beforehand and to prevent people form just taking them and then forgetting about them you can put a price on them. People won't take it unless they really want it if you do that.The other thing you need to be sure of is that the Betta's water is dechlorinated. It's an extra worry so i'd suggest it for a smaller wedding where there are a few good kids to watch out for the fish and a bunch of drunk adults won't be able to easily kill them.

There is some things to consider before you make the decision to have them as centrepieces. I know my family and i'm sure that they would be absolutely fine at any celebration I had but you need to look at yours and deside for yourself. The other thing is you could say that the betta's are up for auction and the money will go to help pay for the wedding. Have a board or something with forms on them and the table numbers and people can bid on their favorates. It also might get people mixing and talking from table to table and liven things up.

Good luck

L

I can see it being a slightly bad idea as well. You don't know what guests (especially children or immature teens) might do to the fish while sitting out on the table. I think the idea of only having a few at the main table would probably be best, and then you don't have to worry about having to get rid of a bunch of bettas that many people most likely will have die on them anyways. It sounds neat but is probably not the safest, I can just picture my kids when they were toddlers, and something like that would fascinate them a little too much.......causing a disaster :boxed:

Okay. I'm gonna say it, even if nobody else is:

Live animals used as temporary decorations = just plain tacky. I will force myself to overlook it in the uneducated populace, but I would expect someone who actually keeps fish to know better.

I don't think it's tacky at all. Betta's are beautiful fish, and is a great way for someone to show their love of fish at their wedding. How about putting some sort of top on the vases?? Like a fine mesh that you can push flower stems into (without them going into the water). This would discourage people putting stuff in the water, or trying to eat the fish etc...It would make a really neat centerpiece to combine the traditional flowers with some colourful fish. And how many tables are you really going to have?? A dozen? Two? It might not even matter that much if you just bring the bettas home again and give them to family after the wedding.

I don't think it's tacky at all. Betta's are beautiful fish, and is a great way for someone to show their love of fish at their wedding.

I don't mean tacky as in unattractive. Bettas are definitely not unattractive.

I mean tacky as in inappropriate. Like people who buy little purebred dogs just so they can carry them around in a designer handbag. Or people who give their kids chicks or a real bunny in their Easter basket.

I have some friends who got a betta from a wedding centerpiece. All I can say is poor fish.

If you want to show your love of fish, don't give them as unsolicited pets.