Filter used on saltwater

Fishful Thinking

I have a very low tech 40 gallon breeder size SW tank. It has about 65 lbs of liverock. No skimmer. The only thing I have is two small powerhead and two AC 150. No medial in the AC...just for water circulation. Sponge tend to be a Nitrate factory.

I have this for one year now...corals are great...fish are healthy.

Jonah

Would I have any issues with using a filter on my freshwater tank that has been used on saltwater?

There should be no issues with it as long as you clean it thoroughly first.

I have switched a SW filter onto Rift Lake tanks often. The worst thing that happens is that the Bristle Worms (and other grubblies) die in the filter, and you'll have to rinse the sponge quite a bit in the first couple days. I have read that some of the nitrifying bacteria can survive both FW & SW.

No problem at all. As long as you give it a good rinse first! I go back and forth with maxi-jet powerheads and aquaclears all the time, and have a couple buddies who do the same with their cannisters... no big deal at all. Hot water rinse... and your set. A little salt never hurt nothin in freshwater, if anything its good, kills some of the bad bacteria!