Aquarium orniment

Bandi

Hi, I have just bought a new fish tank and it came with a bunch of stuff namely an orniment that, if I can get it clean, I might consider using in my new set up. But it is caked with much green algea, stained really good. I tried scraping it and it does very little to affect the discoloration. Any suggestions. Is there any hope I can return this orniment to a prestine white?

And while I got you, what is the best way to clean plastic aquarium plants of brown algea...

Thanks

Edited by guzookeeper

I've soaked some in bleach then power washed them and they came alot cleaner...

Same thing I do. But I soak it in a fresh water pail after the power wash and brush it clean. Then air dry for a few days.

Sulfuric Acid....oh right you want something left when your done... Maybe just vineger then and a good clean up crew for anything left..

Definatly use some bleach and one of those nail brush scrubbers

If you use bleach, do rinse with vinegar afterwords or you will repeat my noob mistake and have any/all sucker fish die (pleco). Bleach leaves a residue behind that is toxic.

For my first little tank i bought a little itty bitty version of the one you have now. I KNOW it's nearly impossible to scrub off the algae but it's amazing what soaking it in a bleach solution will do after you've scrubbed the big gunk off. Don't forget to Rinse VERY THROUGHLY in HOT water. till you can't smell bleach anymore(soak it in hot water 1 or 2 times) Then Rinse again and soak in Hot water with some Dechlorinator(more than perscribed for the bucket) Then let it completely Air dry. It's Easier than it sounds but it'll be nice and white when you are done. I do this for the Rocks i get from beside the gravel roads before i put them in my tank.

Good luck

Thanks you'al, you were very helpful. I will try the bleaching and vinegar thing.