Help settle a debate!!

jus_sum_guy

My cousin recently set-up a new tank and after looking at it I realized that the fish do not mix very well in the size of tank he has.

He says the guy at the store said it was fine so he is going to take the "professionals" word for it.

I need the professionals on AA to prove me right!! We have a little bet going and hoping you guys win it for me!

29 gallon long

1 Red Jewel

1 Blue Acara

2 Kribensis

1 Firemouth

1 Bristlenose

Thoughts on the mix and tank?

Thoughts on what to do?

I think they'll be fine in there for a while; but, I think that once the kribs spawn (if it is a pair), your cousin will have his tank thinned out for him.

Seems to me like he has a lot of fish that will compete for the same square footage. I think that they would tend to like the middle to bottom levels of the tank. I would rather see some other fish that would inhabit the top levels of the tank and provide some dither activity and some different activity in the tank.

It will work while the fish are young, but the firemouth get too large for a tank that size as well as the jewel. My firemouth has a nasty temperament and will fight with fish twice the size of him, he is also a good 5-6" big. The kribs will become aggressive while spawning, and will probably push all the other fish to the other half of the tank when they do.

I'm no expert on most of the fish in that tank and i personally have WAAYYYY more fish in my 30 gallon so i can't talk about crowding BUT make sure he is aware to NEVER try and pair the Jewel up with another Jewel because it'll become crowded really really fast.

As far as i can tell it might work for now but he will want a bigger setup later for some diversity and to make the fish happier. They'll survive but i doubt they'll thrive.

Good luck

L

I have always thought that those kribs would never make it once those other fish got big. Can kribs actually be put with larger cichlids?

I have 2 pairs of kribs in with full grown severums, Guess who wins when the kribs are spawning? (THE KRIBS).

The firemouth , the acara and the jewels will get too big. The tight spacing will cause too much stress and this is before any breeding happens . Once breeding starts there will be torn fins and missing scales . The stress will weaken their immune systems and this can lead to the worst , losses.

Should this tank have been a 70 gal or more with lots of hiding places and driftwood, the mix would likely be OK. Just my 2 cents worth .