500 gallon ( the build with lots of pictures )

rED O

Uuuuggghhhh Duuustin! You should just go get the glass right now so I can buy that tank off of you.

we can't even get the tank lined until wednesday. If you help me move it around to get it lined and into the basement I will buy you lunch or something.

I am getting anxious too.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Master of Puppets
Uuuuggghhhh Duuustin! You should just go get the glass right now so I can buy that tank off of you.

we can't even get the tank lined until wednesday. If you help me move it around to get it lined and into the basement I will buy you lunch or something.

Haha I bet you are.

Haha I bet you are.

for the lid so the arowana will not push it open and to make it almost 100% water tight we used plastic decking boards for the glass to slide in perfectly in place :)

DSCF2229.jpg

DSCF2230.jpg

DSCF2231.jpg

DSCF2232.jpg

DSCF2233.jpg

Looks pretty good, and it can easily slide off for feeding, though i imagine that you would have to feed the fish through the back all the time.

why is that? I am making them two pieces so I don't have to feed from the back. A small piece at the front and a larger for the back.

When you get the glass cut get them to notch the 2 back corners of glass. This way there is still good airflow over the top of the water.

airflow :well:

ummm :wacko:

do you think this tank is going to be sealed like a ducks @$$ho/e? also what do you think airstones are for?

explain to me why I need to drill holes for airflow...

Edited by rED O

Airflow for oxygen exchange. If your system is too sealed up, there won't be enough oxygen and CO2 off-gassing. With rays it's best to have their water as highly oxygenated as possible, so it's not a bad idea.

I understand that, but the airstones provide oxygen exchange. Also this lid is not sealed like a coffin :rolleyes:

When you get the glass cut get them to notch the 2 back corners of glass. This way there is still good airflow over the top of the water.

do you think this tank is going to be sealed like a ducks @$$ho/e? also what do you think airstones are for?

These are the kinds of :cuss: comments that make people NOT want to provide input or share experiences to aid other hobbyists.

Good luck with your ducks @$$ho/e and airstones!!

These are the kinds of :cuss: comments that make people NOT want to provide input or share experiences to aid other hobbyists.

Good luck with your ducks @$$ho/e and airstones!!

I am sorry :blush: I guess I jumped the gun a bit. I overreacted and just got a little defensive because last time I had pictures it went on for 4 pages of me trying to argue a point on how 1'' grade 8 bolts wont fail under 900 lbs :rolleyes:

sorry...

I am not talking about bolts we are talking air flow. Without the rear corners notched out the air is going to have a difficult time getting out and with the humidity between the water and glass there may be some bubbling between the plastic sliders and the glass which you could hear. You could also get hard water stains on the glass from water getting out through the tiny cracks (from the humidity) this will impede light. If you notch the corners even just and inch or 2 you wont get any of this and there will be plenty of air circulation over the water.

Noone mentioned anything about drilling holes. Take the time to read a post before you throw a little hissy fit. Even if they are giving you a hard time grow up a little bit and ignore them.

I am not talking about bolts we are talking air flow. Without the rear corners notched out the air is going to have a difficult time getting out and with the humidity between the water and glass there may be some bubbling between the plastic sliders and the glass which you could hear. You could also get hard water stains on the glass from water getting out through the tiny cracks (from the humidity) this will impede light. If you notch the corners even just and inch or 2 you wont get any of this and there will be plenty of air circulation over the water.

Noone mentioned anything about drilling holes. Take the time to read a post before you throw a little hissy fit. Even if they are giving you a hard time grow up a little bit and ignore them.

once again, I apologize. I did not read the post right and over reacted. As for notching the glass I am keeping a few canisters so I had plans to do that anyways.

sorry Ryan :blush: