500 gallon ( the build with lots of pictures )

rED O

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still have the tank and it's not getting painted, it might be a good idea to do a 'dry run' moving it into your house. With only a 1/2" of clearance to get it in any discrepencies in how square your house was built will change that. And better to do it before painted (if that's not done yet) than get it painted only to have to tear it apart then. Even if you do have it painted, it might be worthwhile moving the tank inside before you put the glass in because the weight savings will make manipulating the tank easier.

If you still have the tank and it's not getting painted, it might be a good idea to do a 'dry run' moving it into your house. With only a 1/2" of clearance to get it in any discrepencies in how square your house was built will change that. And better to do it before painted (if that's not done yet) than get it painted only to have to tear it apart then. Even if you do have it painted, it might be worthwhile moving the tank inside before you put the glass in because the weight savings will make manipulating the tank easier.

Thanks for the suggestion.

We also put two small handles on each side of the tank for carrying it.

the tank is done, just waiting for the lining. here are some pictures.

glass in with no silicone, the aquarium clubs glass suction cups witch I will return tuesday :shifty:

DSCF2363.jpg

DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2365.jpg

later... with 3 tubes of aquarium safe silicone

DSCF2366.jpg

DSCF2367.jpg

DSCF2368.jpg

DSCF2369.jpg

Tank is done, getting lined this weekend and filling this monster up this week.

It seems the dogs are in lots of our pictures

DSCF2375.jpg

DSCF2376.jpg

DSCF2381.jpg

the polyurea is going to overlap the glass buy .5'' so unless the water can get threw the polyurea and silicone there wont be a leak there ;)

DSCF2382.jpg

DSCF2383.jpg

DSCF2384.jpg

DSCF2385.jpg

plastic wood to cover the screw holes

DSCF2386.jpg

and yes, we are going to finnish the outside.

My worry would be the polyurea bonding to the glass and cleaning the glass with a razor blade or even scrubbing (and the long-term bonding of the silicone to the wood). Honestly yours is the first tank I've ever seen with the glass installed before the coating was installed. Best of luck with the coating; the setup is going to look great once it's all done, I'd just worry about long-term durability.

My worry would be the polyurea bonding to the glass and cleaning the glass with a razor blade or even scrubbing (and the long-term bonding of the silicone to the wood). Honestly yours is the first tank I've ever seen with the glass installed before the coating was installed. Best of luck with the coating; the setup is going to look great once it's all done, I'd just worry about long-term durability.

I am not worried. I doubt the polyurea would come of from a brush, maybe a razor blade but I will have to be carful not to use a blade on the glass edges. If the polyurea comes off were the glass edges are, there are 3 tubes of silicone the water would have to go threw. Thanks for the concerns but The polyurea should be fine.