Moss wall

Shai

I want to make a moss wall in my 5g tank. I've searched a lot and read just about every DIY tut out there about making moss walls with screen. I don't want to use screen because the tank has very young, small fish in it and I just don't want to be bothered with worrying about them getting trapped behind the screen.

There's an old thread on this site where one member (jvision, I think?) mentions using cork board and just stapling the moss to the board. This sounds like an awesome idea and very simple, but I don't know where to get some. Neither Crowfoot Rona nor the Totem off Sarcee Trail have any. On a lark I asked at Sunnyside Garden Centre too (didn't really think they would, and they didn't).

Is there an acceptable alternative to cork board that I could use and still staple the moss to it? Totem carries very thin (about 1cm thick) sheets of "plywood". It's three layers though, two smooth outer sheets and something in the middle that sort of looks like particle board (I can post a pic if needed) so it probably has some kind of glue in it to keep it together. Could it be safe or would it just leech chemicals and then rot over time?

Or, where can I get a smallish piece of cork board in Calgary? Walmart? Michaels? Raid my parents' dart board (they might not care for that so much)?

Thanks!

I want to make a moss wall in my 5g tank. I've searched a lot and read just about every DIY tut out there about making moss walls with screen. I don't want to use screen because the tank has very young, small fish in it and I just don't want to be bothered with worrying about them getting trapped behind the screen.

There's an old thread on this site where one member (jvision, I think?) mentions using cork board and just stapling the moss to the board. This sounds like an awesome idea and very simple, but I don't know where to get some. Neither Crowfoot Rona nor the Totem off Sarcee Trail have any. On a lark I asked at Sunnyside Garden Centre too (didn't really think they would, and they didn't).

Is there an acceptable alternative to cork board that I could use and still staple the moss to it? Totem carries very thin (about 1cm thick) sheets of "plywood". It's three layers though, two smooth outer sheets and something in the middle that sort of looks like particle board (I can post a pic if needed) so it probably has some kind of glue in it to keep it together. Could it be safe or would it just leech chemicals and then rot over time?

Or, where can I get a smallish piece of cork board in Calgary? Walmart? Michaels? Raid my parents' dart board (they might not care for that so much)?

Thanks!

You're going to have trouble keeping the cork down, it floats real well.

I might suggest using the plastic screen and make it a bit smaller than the back wall and stand it out from the wall to allow the fry free range behind it, then when they get bigger, you can move it back.

You're going to have trouble keeping the cork down, it floats real well.

I'm not concerned about that. The idea is to cut the cork to the exact dimensions of the back of the tank and attach it so it cannot float way. Thanks for the reply though.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm worried about the cork being in a roll--how to keep it from remaining curved and pulling away from the back of the tank?

There's a Staples nearby so I'll try there and see what I can find and post back. : )

• 2 weeks later...

My visit to Staples was fruitful!

They did indeed have rolls of cork. The rolls looked pretty big and I was still concerned about the cork not being flat after unrolling, so since I'm only doing a 5g tank I opted for a pack of "cork tiles" instead. The pack has four tiles that are each 12"x12", so this is still way more than I need, but I figure if the 5g wall does well I will have enough to do at least another wall for one of the 10gs I have my bettas in. I realize I'll have to cut the tile and use two pieces to cover the back of the tank. The pack was $15 though, a bit ouch when I got to the register! Maybe an actual craft store would be cheaper.

cork.jpg

Having just opened the package I note the cork is a bit dusty so I'm going to soak it first so I don't end up with a mess in the tank. Before I drain the tank and dry it I'm going to take the fish out, cut the cork to the size I need, and just insert the cork without any moss attached to see how well it fits.

If you hadn't already gone with cork I would suggest another product. In order to replace their now outlawed xaxim industry, Brazil has been making a new product that is somewhat similar to xaxim, although admittedly not as durable, that is manufactured from coconut fibres. I get plates of the stuff shipped up from there, and it so far has worked splendidly in my paludriums. I know you can get less thicker, more maleable sheets locally from garden supplies and I'm sure it would work fine for your application.

The project is on hold for just a bit. I noticed today the hood on this tank kinda smells like burnt electrical and occasionally the bulb flicks out, then back on. The hood is only eight months old but even so I'm going to discontinue using it until I can find a replacement. For now the moss is sitting in a floating nursery in my 55g. : ) Not sure what to do with the fry yet, but sitting in the dark for now won't hurt.

In about a week a friend is coming home from China and will be taking her bettas back so one of my 10gs will be empty. I'll put the moss wall in there instead.

This development did give me a chance to realize something: if I have to staple the moss to the cork, and silicone the cork to the back of the tank...how do I keep the moss from drying out? If I silicone before attaching the moss, how do I get the staples in? So, I'm thinking I may have to use thumbtacks instead...

The project is on hold for just a bit. I noticed today the hood on this tank kinda smells like burnt electrical and occasionally the bulb flicks out, then back on. The hood is only eight months old but even so I'm going to discontinue using it until I can find a replacement. For now the moss is sitting in a floating nursery in my 55g. : ) Not sure what to do with the fry yet, but sitting in the dark for now won't hurt.

In about a week a friend is coming home from China and will be taking her bettas back so one of my 10gs will be empty. I'll put the moss wall in there instead.

This development did give me a chance to realize something: if I have to staple the moss to the cork, and silicone the cork to the back of the tank...how do I keep the moss from drying out? If I silicone before attaching the moss, how do I get the staples in? So, I'm thinking I may have to use thumbtacks instead...

what kind of light is it? you should open it up and fix the light. i just had a coralife that shorted out. i opened it up and found that it was just the connectors that melted and was touching the metal. i cut off old connectors and replaced and now the light is fine

It's not any particular kind of light... It's the hood that came with the tank.

I don't have any kind of electrical experience and my house is old and very flammable so I'm not taking any chances.