Local plants

jewels

Has anyone had success with locally found plants thriving within their aquariums? I tried it once before and it was disastrous. This time ( yes, I did it again) all seems to be going very well

I have tried some locals, with varying success rates among the species. The survival rate increases when collecting in the spring and fall, compared to mid summer, or at least so I have noticed...

I think I will try a native planted tank again someday. Wish I could add native fish, but the laws are insane...

Your giving me ideas. I think i want to try it now too. I'm heading to the lake this weekend so if anyone in edmonton wants samples of plants let me know by friday. I wish i could answer your question but maybe in the future i can.

Thanks for asking

L

I though Java fern was from Java.

Use caution Ish. The plant I put in with my Amecas killed them , staring from smallest to largest. The whole process took three hours

Edited by jewels

Java is the 13th largest island in the world and the fifth largest island in Indonesia. It is mentioned in a few songs by Ween, and I think coffee comes from there.

Yes, BFM, I did intend on exploring the possibility of utilizing locally harvested and transplanted specimens.

I did try an Ameca with the new moss, it is doing just fine !

• 1 month later...

What species have you guys found in Alberta that worked? That did not work? I found some Hornwort in a lake in the Lethbridge area, and another type of plant that I have yet to identify. I am trying a piece of the hornwort in my 30 gallon but I am nervous about the other plants.

How did you disinfect your locally-collected plants before placing them in the tank, if at all? I was told to use a bleach dip but I am nervous about it.

What creepies do you guys know of in Alberta that would be harmful to our aquarium fish, if any? Do you think the fish would simply eat any hitchhiking crawlies? Should I be concerned about that?

I did not know you were from Taber! I went to high school @ Myers!

What species have you guys found in Alberta that worked?

Two types of moss. They were growing above the waterline. When I kept their feet wet( In a HOB filter) they took off straight away. When I dunked them they had to adjust and completely die off before re-generating in an underwater form. To date both are doing well.

I am nervous about the other plants.

from my experience I would worry about the fish

How did you disinfect your locally-collected plants before placing them in the tank, if at all?

Not @ all

I was told to use a bleach dip but I am nervous about it.

20:1 bleach Three minutes for heavy , tough and rooted plants(swords etc.) Less for stem plants

What creepies do you guys know of in Alberta that would be harmful to our aquarium fish, if any? Do you think the fish would simply eat any hitchhiking crawlies? Should I be concerned about that?

All manner of crawlies I imagine. I was only brave enough to give larger fish what looked like fairy shrimp. I do not have experience or an authorative answer for that one. I have read that some live food may have the robustness to exit a small fry in the direction of thier chioce. I would be concered about that!

There are several stem plants that grow locally that can work in the aquarium - a couple hornwort-type plants and several bladderworts grow natively that can do well in the aquarium, especially if unheated.

For the uncovered tank, there are several reeds and rushes that can grow in the aquarium, but I'd only use them in larger (4'+) tanks.

Most of the lillies around here will grow in a tank as well, but will easily overgrow a tank if allowed.

If collecting from bodies of water without fish, most of the creepy crawlies should not carry pathogens harmful to fish. Dragonfly larvae and diving beetles will eat fish if the can catch them.

I am trying an ivy leaved duckweed and frogbit that is suited to Calgary's climate. They are in an unheated wild betta tank so we'll see how it goes.

I tried some duckweed looking stuff that grows along the edge of my pond with really longs roots..it didn't do very well, and now it seems i have a culture of cyclops in my shrimp tank. At least i always find a bunch in my bucket during water changes.

My wild bettas would love cyclops!!! I feed them any bugs I find in the house. Sad excuse for a girl I am!!!