My Backyard Pond/Waterfall Build

MMAX

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pond is gorgeous! From following the pictures from the beginning I really couldn't guess how it was going to turn out, but it's like 100x prettier then I thought it was going to be! Great work and Cudos to you, that is one fantastic pond!

• 1 month later...

WOW! I've just read through this thread and it was truly amazing to see the process from start to finish. You've inspired me to create my own (much smaller) water feature in our back yard this summer. Well done and thank you for all the great pictures and info!

Great thread! Read it from start to finish. It turned out awsome!

• 1 year later...

Great pond! Wish we'll have one like it when we have our own place. Is it in a low location in your yard? It may flood in the future if all your rain water is running into it and mucking it up, also might cause issues if you fertalize your lawn. Making a system to use the run off from your house is a great idea. Seen one house in St Albert that used a huge above ground pool (not stocked) to collect run off for their eleborate and beautiful garden. ...... Want some guppies to though in there too once it's warm??

• 3 weeks later...

Great pond! Wish we'll have one like it when we have our own place. Is it in a low location in your yard? It may flood in the future if all your rain water is running into it and mucking it up, also might cause issues if you fertalize your lawn. Making a system to use the run off from your house is a great idea. Seen one house in St Albert that used a huge above ground pool (not stocked) to collect run off for their eleborate and beautiful garden. ...... Want some guppies to though in there too once it's warm??

Yes it is a low location but flooding is not an issue. It has a slight slope so that any high water will run off into the bog (wasn't planned that way but I got a bit lucky there). Absolutly no fertilizer is used back there. Don't really want any guppies, they'll end up being fish food for my koi and if they do survive that they'll die in the winter. I keep my fish outside year round.

Lol, i know they will survive in the warmth. And if they're smart to stay near plants they wouldn't be kio food. if they do well, it's good they breed like rabbits. No worries about winter, in the spring you can get some more :D

• 1 month later...

I love it dude!! I built a big pond in my back yard over the last few summers too... Soo much fun and I love falling asleep to the sound of the waterfall. Really kicking myself for not documenting the whole thing to share with people and give them Ideas. When everything open up again in the spring I will post some pics of mine and show it off!

Awesome build!

• 1 year later...

Just an update...lost a couple of goldfish over the winter, seems like the norm. Everything else wintered well. Pulled all the rainbow rock out of the streambed and washed it. Just waiting for the water to clear now, getting there slowly. Need to get a couple of larger koi this year.

How thick does the ice get in the winter? Do you use a heater for the winter months?

The ice gets a few inches thick.I used to run a floating deicer but it was a killer on the power bill. My pump had dual outlets so I disconnect my hoses and point both of them up. It's enough to keep a hole opened up for gas exchange.

How thick does the ice get in the winter? Do you use a heater for the winter months?

The ice gets a few inches thick.I used to run a floating deicer but it was a killer on the power bill. My pump had dual outlets so I disconnect my hoses and point both of them up. It's enough to keep a hole opened up for gas exchange.

Just read through the whole thread, incredible build. I was worried when I noticed at the start of reading it that you wouldn't be updating anymore since this was started '09. Any possible chance of more pictures of this inspiring setup?

• 2 weeks later...