Syno. Petricola question

rahim101

I know a great home for them!

As far as I know, they could disrupt any tankmates breeding, but it's not a given that they will. You take your chances with them in your tank.

If you are interested in selling (or trading) let me know.

Tim

From what I've seen, they'd probably be better in with your Tropheus. As they're not a parasitic spawner like the multi's, I don't think they really have much interest in the mouthbrooders (at least that's what I'm hoping too, I only have them in with mouthbrooders right now but nothing's breeding yet). Their interference with the N. buescheri would probably come at night when they'd eat the eggs/young.

AFAIK, petricola's DO NOT breed like the multi's, in with mouthbrooders. There was actually a discussion concerning this on cichlid-forum a while back, and there's pretty much only one guy who's had them breed with his cichlids (SidGuppy - if you want Syno info, he's the guy to ask), and that was with Alto. comps, egg layers. The synos' laid their eggs in with the comps eggs and the comp's guarded the syno's eggs as if they were their own (they were also wild syno's).

All the breeding I've heard of with petricola's has been as egg scatterers.

What's the smallest size fish that the petricola can be kept with, without having to worry about them eating the fry.

I have a 20 gallon grow out tank with about 30 A. lwanda "red top" and 5 electric Yellows, they were all striped a couple of days before the CAS Auction.

The yellow's are 1/2 inch and the Lwanada's are about 1/4 inch!!!!!

The buescheri are really attaching the syno's the last couple of days and I really want to move them to my fry tank if possible!!!!!

Thanks,

I've never kept my petricola's with anything smaller than half their own length, so it would be hard to say. From what I've heard about them being fry predators though, I don't know if I'd trust them with my fry unless I wasn't too concerned about the fry.

Why aren't you putting them in your 90?

I have 7 petricola in my 90g and i there are always fry in there. I bought the synos to keep the fry population down but i haven't noticed a decrease since adding them. I still dont' think i would trust them in a fry tank though. I think 1/2" fry would be ok though, but the 1/4" ones i'm not too sure. If you value your fry i wouldnt' risk it.

http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article25.htm

http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article30.htm

These seem like pretty good sources too me and what I was refering too, but it seems incredibly rare for them too spawn unless you intend it and one or two spawns of petricola would seem much more rewarding to me then continuese cichlids,

Unless they could be expoected to interfere in another wway,

synos peeping ruin the mood :hey: ?

Edited by vantgE

Sorry vantGe, but neither article talks definitively about them being spawned with cichlids as a host. The one article mentions that it has been tried, but never actually accomplished (and this is the only one from the net that mentions that, after two years of searching I've never found any others), the quote from the article "There have been few reports on different ways of spawning Synodontis catfish. One way is to use some sort of host fish just like the Synodontis multipunctatus. Synodontis petricola can and have been spawned using this method although we have not had any success with the host fish, we were able to breed them a different way. " Every report I've ever found on the net has been of spawning them as egg scatterers, and like I said earlier, SidGuppy (a catfish 'fanatic' to put it lightly) is the ONLY one I've ever actually heard CONFIRMED reports of breeding with cichlids, and they still scattered their eggs among the eggs of egg laying (NOT mouthbrooding) cichlids.

Here's the thread I was talking about. Check it out.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=77995

I have spawned my petricola's using the flowerpot method, had about 20 eggs hatch, but none of the fry survived to free swimming stage. Not sure what went wrong, but due to upcoming work I won't have the time required to devote to them again until the fall (hopefully).

SidGuppy (a catfish 'fanatic' to put it lightly)

SidGuppy is the guy to talk to, and if he has had success breeding petricolas using hosts, in no way does this mean that it would be a common thing. He pretty much knows all there is to know about synos as far as I am concerned.

I heard him referred to as "Cichlid-Forum's resident syno nut".....and that comment was made as a compliment, not insult.

SidGuppy (a catfish 'fanatic' to put it lightly) is the ONLY one I've ever actually heard CONFIRMED reports of breeding with cichlids, and they still scattered their eggs among the eggs of egg laying (NOT mouthbrooding) cichlids.

ditto

Petricola will not interfere with mouthbrooders, only egg layers, and even this is very rare.