Shrimp tank mates?

jesp

I am looking to get some cherry shrimp, or some other type of colorful shrimp in my 33 gallon planted tank, but know very little about them. Which of my fish do I need to get out of my tank?

Kribs

Red rainbows

tetras

killifish

Forktail rainbow (Pseudomugil furcatus)

And is there any problem with plecos of any type?

(Also, I would not be upset if one of you lovely people wanted to offer me some free shrimp to give this a go.......)

Cheers.

I am looking to get some cherry shrimp, or some other type of colorful shrimp in my 33 gallon planted tank, but know very little about them. Which of my fish do I need to get out of my tank?

Kribs

Red rainbows

tetras

killifish

Forktail rainbow (Pseudomugil furcatus)

And is there any problem with plecos of any type?

(Also, I would not be upset if one of you lovely people wanted to offer me some free shrimp to give this a go.......)

Cheers.

Unless you get some bigger shrimp, all of the tankmates except the pleco probably would like a shrimp cocktail!!

The forktail rainbowfish and the killies(if they are a smaller species) might be ok with shrimp. They rest of the fish will eat them, especially the kribs. What kind of tetras are they?

Pretty much any fish will eat shrimp like cherries, CRS and greens. They are small even as adults and if it can fit in the fishes mouth they will eat it and if it doesn't they will still try to eat them. They are best kept in fish free tanks or with very small species of fish, with small mouths.

I"ve had success keeping a betta(really depends on the personality of the betta tho) and Endlers with my shrimp. For a clean up crew I like using Zebra snails, or otocinclus.

I have a friend who had Cherry Shrimp and Endler's Livebearers multiplying like crazy in a 5 gal tank.

Ok, I am left a tad confused. The tetras that I got were housed with shrimp (little clear ones) before I took them. Also, I have rummy nose, little mystery tetras, and some rasboras.

Are cherry shrimp specifically really easy food compared to other shrimp? If I give them enough places to hide would the little ones be ok?

Does everybody recommend these endlers as some of the only ones that will be able to live with shrimp? Where can I get ahold of some? I don't think I have seen them around much at all. Any of you live in south calgary?

Ok, I am left a tad confused. The tetras that I got were housed with shrimp (little clear ones) before I took them. Also, I have rummy nose, little mystery tetras, and some rasboras.

Are cherry shrimp specifically really easy food compared to other shrimp? If I give them enough places to hide would the little ones be ok?

Does everybody recommend these endlers as some of the only ones that will be able to live with shrimp? Where can I get ahold of some? I don't think I have seen them around much at all. Any of you live in south calgary?

I've seen some at Big Al's last week.

You can keep other shrimp with Cherry shrimp, just don't expect to raise many. The adults will get away... most of the time, given lots of plants. But, the smaller ones will be fodder.

I am lucky I put in red stone in my tank and my Cherries cannot be seen much.

I have had one cherry die and one Ghost die, and I might have suspected a hungry betta 'testing' the meal or the school of rasboras.

but any fish that get get agressive could potentially kill a cherry shimp. a ghost shrimp is much harder to see

but im a noob.

Edited by BettaBeats

I have shrimp in my main tank... 4 Red crystal and 2 that were tagged as algae eating shrimp. I have yet to lose any of the red crystals which are about the same size as the cherry to other fish which includes a male and female betta but my tank is very heavily planted. I also just bought a bunch of red cherry shrimp that are in my breeding tank with my endlers. The endlers dont pay any attention to the shrimps at all and the shrimp have so far not been observed to go after any of the betta or endler fry I have in the tank. My plan is to try to breed the cherrys but so far I have not seen any of the females egg up but then again I dont know what I am looking for when it comes to pregnant shrimp :D

After saying all this, I found a full grown cherry shrimp in one of my community tanks. Not sure of how she got there as I have a separate shrimp tank(probably in a net) but her and the betta were having a stare off. Rescued her and all's well now.