what are the con's of the FX5??

mooseman1

I haven't used one, but they are a louder than most other cannisters, and use more electricity (I think it's about 50W). They also stop for a period of time every 24 hours to purge any air, and then it starts back up.

I haven't come across anything about them that would stop me from buying one though.

Biggest problem I have with them is the hose attachment clips and how the hoses are supposed to 'clip' to tanks. They don't work for large tanks, and I'm always worried that the hoses will pop out while I'm gone. They're supposed to be made for large tanks, but I haven't found the clips to fit anything (well) over 50 gallons without modifying them. Once I have them secured, I've been happy with them otherwise.

I found THIS SITE shortly after buyin an FX5. The first mod I did was hard-line intake and returns - solved the clip problem, and was a relatively easy mod.

I have 5 of them running and love them. Have had no problems in the last 4years. And they are great for water changes, makes water changes fast and easy.

They are #1 in my books.

I Think that they are great, I bought mine second hand and it runs like new.

CON: Needs to been cleaned more regularly then most canisters... This also depending on whether you have a planted tank, number of fish etc. But really what's 10 minutes in return for a well cycled tank clear tank.

CON: Expensive, I suggest buying second hand every once and a while people post them for a couple hundred. Be patient it will turn up.

CON: When the filter is full of mechanical waste etc. The power of the filter will eventually blow the gunk back into your tank and no longer hold any more material. Solution Water change 20 min. Clean filter 10 min.

CONCLUSION: None of these are that big of a deal, they have to be taken care of any ways.

DANGERS: The clips may unhook.

DANGERS: If the drain valve loosens or is not put on properly it will siphon your tank.

PROS: Quiet

PROS: Turns off to release air bubbles: Saves you a pain in the arse.

PROS: Lots of GPH, steady flow, clears a tank of substrate cloudiness quickly

PROS: A sponge can be put into the intake to prevent fry and unwanted gunk from being sucked up.

PROS: Tons of media diversity. I used my square sponges from my XP3 in the center round pieces, and put polyester wool along all the side baskets.

PROS: Outtake is convenient there are two heads and you can move them up down and side to side

PROS: I CAN KEEP GOING. THEY WORK WELL AND CLEAN YOUR TANK

I Think that they are great, I bought mine second hand and it runs like new.

CON: Needs to been cleaned more regularly then most canisters... This also depending on whether you have a planted tank, number of fish etc. But really what's 10 minutes in return for a well cycled tank clear tank.

CON: Expensive, I suggest buying second hand every once and a while people post them for a couple hundred. Be patient it will turn up.

CON: When the filter is full of mechanical waste etc. The power of the filter will eventually blow the gunk back into your tank and no longer hold any more material. Solution Water change 20 min. Clean filter 10 min.

CONCLUSION: None of these are that big of a deal, they have to be taken care of any ways.

DANGERS: The clips may unhook.

DANGERS: If the drain valve loosens or is not put on properly it will siphon your tank.

PROS: Quiet

PROS: Turns off to release air bubbles: Saves you a pain in the arse.

PROS: Lots of GPH, steady flow, clears a tank of substrate cloudiness quickly

PROS: A sponge can be put into the intake to prevent fry and unwanted gunk from being sucked up.

PROS: Tons of media diversity. I used my square sponges from my XP3 in the center round pieces, and put polyester wool along all the side baskets.

PROS: Outtake is convenient there are two heads and you can move them up down and side to side

PROS: I CAN KEEP GOING. THEY WORK WELL AND CLEAN YOUR TANK

No they do not have to be cleaned more then other canisters. I just cleaned all mine , frist time in a year, and they still had lots of flow, Its all with

what you put in the middle compartments.

The xp3 cut to fit is a good thing, have that on a few of mine. The blue pad that they come with is the frist thing to throw away, Fill the centre with ceramic rings or pot scubbers, or XP3 pads, cut to fit.

Have never had a clip come unhooked.

Have never had a problem with the Drain Valves leaking.

I run them on my 120 gal , my 180 gal and on my 240 gal, never had a problem.

They are great.

Water changes thake a bit longer then 20 mins. brcause of the tank size, but draining them takes about 5 to 10 min,s.

Can not go wrong with a FX5, just wait for the right deal.