Python changes

EowynJane

Has anyone ever tried to modify their python? I was thinking of replacing the nozzel on the end of mine to something smaller in the hopes that it would create more suction. The suction on mine isn't great and I always thought it was due to the poor water pressure in our old house but we've since moved to a newer house and it hasn't increased much.

I was thinking of buying a new manual syphon but am not sure how it would be best to go about securing it to the tubing. To be honest I was thinking about trying a zip tie to see how that works.

Any ideas, suggestions or tips?

Have you taken the valve end apart to see if there's any plant crud stuck in there?

I know mine gets plugged up with plant pieces and slows down.

Even though, the draw isn't all that powerful at the best of times. It depends on the drop between the side of your tank and the outlet, I.E. that is, if the tank side is 3 feet off the floor and the bath tub side is 1.5 feet, you only have 1.5 feet of head, which is not a great deal. The further the drop the more flow there is.

Has anyone ever tried to modify their python? I was thinking of replacing the nozzel on the end of mine to something smaller in the hopes that it would create more suction. The suction on mine isn't great and I always thought it was due to the poor water pressure in our old house but we've since moved to a newer house and it hasn't increased much.

I was thinking of buying a new manual syphon but am not sure how it would be best to go about securing it to the tubing. To be honest I was thinking about trying a zip tie to see how that works.

Any ideas, suggestions or tips?

Try to check for plant gunk first then you can buy a smaller manual gravel vac and usually it has a smaller hose and i've found that you can usually force the slightly smaller tube in the larger one with some force and silicone. (did this myself with mine and with the filter tubing)

Good luck

L

Nothing stuck in there. Also I take the nozzle of the tap off so I can get to the threads.

I also wonder if it could be because I have so much hose? I have more then I need but not by a massive amount, if anyone thinks that could be part of the problem I'll have to pay attention and get a better idea of how much tomorrow.

I would imagine it has to be aquarium silicone right? So it wouldn't leach stuff out into the tank.

Edited by EowynJane

The length of hose doesn't really matter - it just adds friction, which isn't huge in our application. Boas and Parachromis1 are right, the more drop and wider your hose is, the better your suction will be. If your hose can reach a bathtub, toilet or yard (best option, IME), don't use the tap to drain it - just use regular siphon action. The end of the hose will be a lot lower than if it were in the sink, relying on the tap to pull the water out of your tank. Then just hook up to the tap to fill.

For half my tanks I use the python attached to the sink and the other half the python just drains into my bathtub. Using the bathtub definitely gives more suction then attaching it to the sink. Its not hard to start the suction, just give a quick suck on the end of the python tube. No risk of getting a mouthful of water as the hose is so long.

If you have a powerhead in your tank, you can get the suction going by putting the in-tank end over the output of the powerhead. It will push water into the hose and once it gets far enough along, gravity will take over. Just leave the other end of the python in the bottom of the tub, sink, or on the lawn.

Alright... thanks, I'll give it a try :) This could be good... the thing uses so much water I only use it to drain my 50 and I use a manual syphon into a bucket for my other tanks. I may use it for my other tanks if it works that well. Definitely will need a smaller head on it for the other tanks though, only 20 gallons.

When draining/cleaning tanks I run the hose either to the basement laundry tub or out the back step into the flower bed depending on how much rain we've had..

When filling is the only time I connect to the Kitchen sink..

Let gravity do the work when cleaning/draining/water change etc vs. pouring good water down the drain to suck the bad from the tank..

Really easy to start the syphon too specially if yer python has the lil shutoff valve near the working end (tank side)

Close the valve and place the cleaning wand section in the water so that it fills up ( on it's side or inverted on an angle)

Raise it out of the tank so that the water doesn't pour out but the air between the valve and the water level is now gone

repeat if any air left.

turn the cleaning wand the noraml operating direction (open end toward gravel lol)

and open the valve..

Gravity will do the rest..

This worked out quite well, thanks guys. The suction still wasn't the greatest though so I am going to go with a smaller tube.

Smaller Tube????, I have used the Python hose for about 9 years, until recent I have changed to a larger ID hose. I have cut my draining of my tank by about 30 % faster. Before it would take me about 20-25 mins to drain 140 gallons now it's about 15 mins. The hose that I am using is 3/4" ID at 50'. I feel there is better suction with the larger tube.

Edited by letsgofishn