Cloudy Tank went to green now!

Okay, here we go again! :eh:

We moved the fish into the 230 gal with most of the water. Added about 70 gallons of fresh water to top it up. This is well water but we have never had a problem in the past, and our other tanks are crystal clear.

Shortly after, the tank went cloudy AGAIN... then it went green. We figure it's an algae bloom, but WHY?

On Canreef, Richer suggests that we do a 50% water change and then completely cover the tank for three days, and possibly some pond treatment. Any other suggestions?

We have done huge water changes since we noticed it clouding up and then going green... it makes no difference.

Any help on this would be appreciated. This is starting to drive us crazy! :poo:

Water changes will not help. This just feeds the phosphates which are making it green. You want to do the opposite and starve them, so the suggestion on Canreef is a good one. Get rid of the light for a week even.

What kind of lighting do you have on this tank?

It's the exact same lights we had on the other tank. Florescent fixture with two coralife bulbs. One 50/50 and one Actintic.

It's just so wierd that this happened right after we switched tanks.

So, you recommend a week. Will the fish survive that long without being fed? We were told not to feed the fish while being covered.

Nope defiantley no feeding as this will add nitrates which will feed the phosphates.

You can also by green water clumper..Can remember what it is called. Not the phosphate sponge as they will be worn out by the time they get in your tank the way it is right now. You can add it to your tank and change out the media in your filters with floss and the algae particles will be siltered away. (it clumps it together) This will make your time with the lights out a bit less. Couple days maybe. Your fish will be fine either way.

You should keep your tank highly oxygenated during this, as the green water does affect the oxygen level somewhat. Add an airstone if you have one.

I have had "green water" problem in the past and I picked up this stiff from Gold's that is used in ponds for algae problems. My tank use to be in direct sunlight (under a sky light) and thus created the problem. The pond stuff is made by "laguna" and works great and clears it within an hour or two. READ THE INTRUCTIONS well for quantities!!!!!!

HTH!!!

Question though, when it is all cleared up, should we toss all of the filter media, or will it be okay to just rinse it?

Toss it frequently. I would get some disposable floss. The particulate clumper will eventually break down again so best to get rid of it.

The Laguna green water clarifier is or was sold at Home Depot and Rona. I used it when I had an algae bloom in my pond. As someone said it does clump up the pea soup into balls for removal. IMO it doesnt seem to work as effectively on aquariums, I tried in on a tank that was left in the sun all weekend with plant lights and infrequent water changes (not my tank) and at the time when I put the laguna stuff in, you could not see an electric yellow and a green terror in the tank. It cleared somewhat but but not the same way my pond did (temperature?) Again the biggest hazard of an algae bloom is the deprivation of oxygen to the fish. This may sound harsh but I would remove all fish and plants from the tank and "shock"it with swimming pool chlorine.The chrorine will disappate after 3 or 4 days or you could drain, refill and test. Harold

The other thing you said was that you are using well water. I think you should consider testing the water for contamination either from leeching from say livestock grazing or high phosphates from waste water contamination. For some reason you are providing algae with a large food source.

U.V or diatom filter. If I was out your way you could use either of mine. My Vortex XL cleared up my 77g in an hour. The U.V unit I just leave running when ever I get a bit of an algae problem. My tank is heavily planted and I'm always fooling around with different ferts so every now and again I get a bloom.

Rick

Rick is right, an ultra violet light unit worked into the plumbing would provide a continous solution. Petsmart on Macleod had some clearance units and bulbs about $120 for the unit and I think about 15 for extra bulbs. A uv unit is on the to-do list for my pond this year as well as much bigger pumps and multi stage wet dry filters. Harold