"Dwarf Pleco"?

Tanker

But for now, I have to post something that has probably been asked 400,000,000 times before... I need a small sized 'algae munching fish' for my ten gallon.

Ottos are cool as heck, but apparently a community fish... so I need something that won't pitch a fit to be the only thing in the bottom half of a tank. Prefer a max size of two inches... I am fans of the "little guys" under the sea... plans for the future are to have a 100+ gallon tank with nothing over 3" in it...

Anyways, any suggestions in a solo, small, mild-mannered, hardy sucker-type would be great, thanks.

From what I have seen in my research, they do best as a group fish, and my tank wouldn't support adding more than one or two, at best... I already have seven fish in there (one betta and six 3/4" Harlequins). I am "stuck" with only a ten gallon until July, as I am moving cities and don't want to spend the time setting up a larger tank, just to tear it down again.

I guess I could get one Otto for now, and just have a miserable (if well fed) fish... he may find some company in the rest of the fish, I suppose...

Are plecos a 'group' fish? Meaning am I going to be stuck with a lonely fish no matter what I do? Since I'll be going to a 30+ gallon (and most likely a 50) in three months, I guess just getting two Ottos would be fine, if I can find two younger ones, and add more once the tank grows.

Now the search of Calgary and Edmonton fish shops for young Ottos begins... Anyone seen any about?

Otos are more of a group fish but i've had 1(the rest of his group have died off over the years) in my tank and he does fine. So i think adding 1 or 2 to your 10g will be fine,especially if you are planning on upgrading in a couple months.

Not sure what city you are from but there were lots of otos at dad's fishroom the last time i was there.

I bought a rubber nose pleco (Chaetostoma milesi) for $6.99 at Petsmart in Calgary and the specs say they don't get much bigger than 4 inches. I got mine at 2 inches, he is hoovering a 20 gal juvey tank, and he has not grown a bit for the couple months I have had him.

Just picked up three Otocinclus affinus and got them into the tank... they seem to be charmed to be there, already going to work on the back pane of the tank.

Dave @ Riverfront rocks my socks! Thanks for the advice! (if he's on here? he MUST be...?) I'll be back for some of those other little guys (can't remember what they were, some inch long fully grown cat).

Thanks to all for the input!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The three Ottos I tossed in the ten gallon cleaned it in about three days, even the very heavily covered back pane is now spotless. I am down to two of them, as I sent one to my girlfriend's place to start tidying up her tank. We'll be 'combining our stock' so to speak in July :hey: , so the one lonely Otto will be reunited with his mates.

For "grounds keeping" I have added a zebra snail named "Untitled" (his stripes are perfecty parallel, like lined paper) and during a recent water change found that I have a new friend... a Malaysian Snail. Must have come in at a very juvinile stage, because he's not much bigger than a broken off pencil lead, now.

I have heard that where there is one, there's a million, but I shut off the filter while doing the vacuuming, and only the one shot up the glass. I do not overfeed at all, so I am not too concerned with being run over with them.

My tank now has top, middle and bottom activity... only a ten gallon, but it's coming along nicely. Great practice for the custom plywood/glass 80 gallon I am planning.