ARAPAIMA in lloyd for cheap!

davis101

for anyone in the lloydminster area you should definately check out black ocean aquarium. he has extremely good prices! although he might not keep much freshwater in stock he will basically order you anything you want! he is bringing in arapaimas on the 13 of nov, not entirely sure on the price yet but he thought it would be about 30-40 bucks! also ordering me in some motoro rays for 60 bucks a peice!

There is more people than you think with the capabilities to keep these large fish. Check out Monster fish keepers if you get a chance. Some of the members there live here. Education of potential owners is what fish stores and this site is for, if you have a 33 gal tank stick to guppy's and barbs not Arowana and Arapaima. Know if you have a 5000 gal invite me over i'll bring beer......lol

Wow what a big fish. Thanks for the tip on the cheap store. I think the owner would serve his customers best if he posted this picture right next to the tank they are going in. I wonder if they would survive the winters here in a outdoor pond.

Thanks

L

I'm curious as to which members from this forum have the facilities to keep an adult Arapaima?

Arowana and Arapaima aren't even in the same ballpark when it comes to tank requirements. A tank that one could keep most adult aros in for their entire life, a juvenile Arapaima could easily outgrow in less than 18 months. A 6" juvie can reach 4ft in 2-3 yrs. In captivity an adult can exceed 10ft.

I agree about the education part, so anyone who's seriously interested in getting one of these fish should consider reading the following discussion on MFK.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/s...hread.php?t=984

According to individuals who have actually cared for this species, in both private & public aquariums, a single adult Arapaima requires a minimum of 10,000-15,000 gallons.

Other than a LFS importing these fish as a special request, for someone who has the capabilities of properly housing one long term, selling these fish to the general public makes about as much sense as PetSmart selling Pacu.

Edited by RD.

Housing a fish this size is not the only problem the food requirement is astonishing. And no,dog food is not a good substitute. (seen that on another forum) Its hard to control who buys what fish, but i agree Arapaima really don't have a place in home aquairia. I must say we do see fish stores who sells a Oscars or arowanas to kids with a 20 gallon tanks. Maybe more info on store tanks would help like adult size and tank requirements? Stores will never do it because it cuts into there profits.

I have to say that maybe the person who ordered them in didn't really realize what they were getting. That or they didn't care and someone had asked for one. Either way i think this fish is best left to specialty orders. Unless the owner has connections and buyers for the fish it would be unprofitable to even pay the shipping to get one in.

Thanks again for the referene to the the inexpensive store.

L

Guest Master of Puppets
for anyone in the lloydminster area you should definately check out black ocean aquarium. he has extremely good prices! although he might not keep much freshwater in stock he will basically order you anything you want! he is bringing in arapaimas on the 13 of nov, not entirely sure on the price yet but he thought it would be about 30-40 bucks! also ordering me in some motoro rays for 60 bucks a peice!

Wait YOU ordered the fish in? Are you saying this fish store keeper is going to have a tank full of these guys because no one wants them? I think you need to cancel this order or the store owner is probably going to send these fish to certain doom.